Interview Questions You Won't Know How to Answer

118

Since summer is around the corner and it's internship season, I thought I would help all my lovely friends out by writing about interview tips this week. As a job candidate, you must be prepared to answer any and every question that gets tossed your way better than the other people applying for that job. You have to be ready for anything to happen during an interview. That’s why yours truly has gone through tons of interview questions shared by some friends and others about the most oddball questions they’ve had during an interview. Now I’m not talking your simple “how many siblings do you have?” and “what is your grandmas name?” these questions here will blow your mind … they did mine for sure. So just think, “if this were me, what would I say?”

1. "You're a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?" 

– Asked at Urban Outfitters.

2. "What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently?"

– Asked at Applebee's.

3. "Have you ever been on a boat?"

– Asked at Applied Systems.

4. "If you were a pizza delivery man how would you benefit from scissors?"

– Asked at Apple

5. "Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?" 

—Dell, Account Manager interview

6. "If you were on an island and could only bring three things, what would you bring?"

Yahoo, Search Quality Analyst interview

7. "If you were a box of cereal, what would you be and why?"

Bed Bath & Beyond, Sales Associate interview

8. "Do you believe in Bigfoot?"

Norwegian Cruise Line, Casino Marketing Coordinator interview

9. "Why is a tennis ball fuzzy?"

Xerox, Client Manager interview

10. "What is your least favorite thing about humanity?"

ZocDoc, Operations Associate interview

11. "How would you use Yelp to find the number of businesses in the U.S.?" 

Factual, Software Engineer interview

12. "How honest are you?"

Allied Telesis, Executive Assistant interview

13. "How many square feet of pizza are eaten in the U.S. each year?" 
Goldman Sachs, Programmer Analyst interview

14. "Can you instruct someone how to make an origami 'cootie catcher' with just words?"

LivingSocial, Consumer Advocate interview

15. "If you were 80 years old, what would you tell your children?"

McKinsey & Company, Associate interview

16. "You're a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?"

Urban Outfitters Sales Associate interview

17. "How does the internet work?"

Akamai, Director interview

18. "If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why?"

—SinglePlatform, Inside Sales Consultant interview

19. "What's the color of money?"

American Heart Association, Project Manager interview

20. "What was the last gift you gave someone?"

Gallup, Data Analyst interview

21. "What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently?"

Applebee’s, Bartender/Neighborhood Expert Server interview

22. "How many snow shovels were sold in the U.S. last year?"

TASER, Leadership Development Program interview

23. "It’s Thursday; we’re staffing you on a telecommunications project in Calgary, Canada on Monday. Your flight and hotel are booked; your visa is ready. What are the top five things you do before you leave?"

ThoughtWorks, Junior Consultant interview

24. "Describe to me the process and benefits of wearing a seatbelt."

Active Network, Client Applications Specialist interview

25. "If you could throw a parade of any caliber through the Zappos office, what type of parade would it be?" – Asked at The Zappos Family.

If one of these questions comes up in your interview, don’t let it throw you. Resist the temptation to be pulled into a completely different directions. Take a moment to really consider your answer instead of just blurting out the first thing that comes to mind. And always remember, before answering any of these unusual questions, that it is a job interview and the interviewer wants to understand your skills, enthusiasm, and how well you will fit in.