7 Tips On How To Land That Internship

7 Tips On How To Land That Internship

Do not be someone you are not and if by chance you don't get the internship, it wasn't right for you and not meant to be.

46
7 Tips On How To Land That Internship

Don't slouch, don't over-prepare, be you — These seven tips will help you land a spot as a fellow intern.

1. Apply To As Many As You Can

Do not expect to just apply to one internship and receive it. If you think about how many students actually apply to the same internship as you, it's probably a lot. Whether you apply on Glassdoor, Indeed, or through your school, there's going to be competition and you are usually never the only one applying. So apply to at least 10 because that will boost your chances.

2. Keep Your Options Open

Studying marketing, only applying to marketing internships, and not hearing back? If that is the case try branching out to other departments such as Human Resources, Management, and maybe even Finance. This will increase your chances by at least hearing back from one company. If you find yourself sitting in an interview and are being asked why you are applying for an HR position when you are studying marketing, explain how you want to branch out and try something new. Keep yourself innovative and excited to try new tasks because that will not make you look bad at all. After all, business administration is pretty broad yet marketing, HR, and management all fall under it.

3. If You Need Credit, Apply Only For Credit

Many schools and programs expect their students to receive credit for at least one internship. So do not waste your time interviewing for a company that does not offer college credit. When applying, many companies specify if they offer credit or not. Focus on getting an internship for credit and then branch off to other internships for the experience.

4. Be Prepared For These Three Questions

From my own experience, I can assure you that every company I have interviewed for, has asked me the three following questions. "Tell me about yourself." "What do you know about the company?" and "Do you have any questions?" Not so sure why interviewing is so scary and nerve wrecking but study these three questions and prepare for them because they will be asked. Just settle on a 30-40 second elevator speech about yourself, but do not give too much away because there will be other questions about school and previous jobs.

Always always always study the company and be knowledgeable about them. Check out their website for a few minutes and at least read the "about me" section and always ask questions so you seem interested. If I can tell you one thing, never ask "what is a typical day here like?" because everyone asks that and I got called out by asking that question one time.

5. Prepare But Not Over Prepare

Don't freak yourself out and over prepare. Do not remember any responses word by word because you won't sound natural. For some reason, I feel as if all the nerves just die down when they call you in for the interview. If you practiced those three questions and did your research on the company you will be good to go.

6. Be Casual And Be You

When sitting down for an interview don't slouch but don't seem too hyper either. Believe it or not, your body language says a lot about you. Seem cool and not rigid and don't forget to smile. No company wants to hire a statue who can't seem to crack a smile and as cheesy as it may sound, be yourself. Do not be someone you are not and if by chance you don't get the internship, it wasn't right for you and not meant to be. Don't get discouraged because it will only make you more experienced and prepared.

7. Late is Late, On Time Is Late, And Early Is On Time

Do not show up thinking you are ready and prepared 5 minutes before the interview starts. You owe it to yourself to get there early and take a few minutes to yourself as well as scope out the place and your surroundings. In fact, I have driven to offices and buildings where my interviews will be days in advance to make sure I know where I am going. No one will negatively judge you for being early, but do not be late — first impressions matter.