Intersectional Feminism Is A Requirement

Feminism is, and always will be, a hot topic. As with plenty of other important topics such as this one, it means something to me. I'm almost positive it means a lot to millions of individuals around the globe. Feminism is an extremely broad topic with multiple things to consider. Every now and then, it can get tricky. It's a lifetime learning process. Unfortunately majority of the time, women of color are left out of this discussion and pushed to the back. Our problems don't seem to matter. We are silenced and forgotten, left to fend for ourselves with no solidarity.

Intersectionality, a term coined by professor Kimberlé Crenshaw, is essential. What "intersectional" basically means is that oppressive institutions are interconnected and can't be excluded from each other. Feminism doesn't mesh together in one dense category. There are various problems that need to be focused on other than white, cis-gendered, able-bodied women (yes, I'm tired of reading that Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence are our new feminist heroines). A colored woman will experience sexism and racism a different way than another woman, and we need to take that into account.

This definition is something everybody should be familiar with. To be a feminist while ignoring intersectionality isn't actually feminism at all. I've seen and heard too many things that purposely prohibit women who don't fit the "criteria" of mainstream feminism and it's unfair. Although I understand this is a new concept for most people, I believe it's important to educate each other in order to be heard correctly.

No one starts off with complete knowledge of the subject, and no one ever truly will. But there's continuous growth that occurs in someone if they allow it. In this case, it begins with an open mind and understanding the unprivileged. Being a woman of color has shown me that my brown sisters are looked down upon. Our culture is rejected until our curly, fuzzy hair and full lips are a sudden trend. We women of color are degraded until we're somehow relevant. This is precisely why feminism must be intersectional because mainstream (white) feminism teaches us to disregard color when the world should be paying attention to it.

The same applies to disabled women, mentally ill women, trans women, indigenous women, etc. The list can go on because there simply is not just one type of woman that society has to acknowledge. What I've mentioned in this article is only a gist of a vital discussion, but it's enough to get you started.