Tips You Need to Succeed in Your Internship

By an intern, for an intern

29
Picpedia

Are you in the process for applying for internships? Are you getting ready to commence your internship experience? Are you already an intern but still need a few tips? This article is for you!

1. Take the initiative

Wikimedia

I cannot stress this enough. If you take nothing else away from this article, at least remember this. It is crucial to show initiative throughout the entire experience. When you apply, complete every single step- even the optional ones. For example, if the application requires a minimum number of references, supply one or two more than the minimum. Make sure you obtain great, well-written character references from trusted and successful colleagues or mentors. Once you submit your application, if you do not hear back in the expected period of time, follow up with the appropriate person via email or telephone. This shows that you care. You do not want to come across as desperate and call or email all the time- just once is sufficient. Complete all necessary paperwork and any other tasks well ahead of the deadline. Once you begin your internship, ask others "how can I help?" or "is there anything I can do to help?". It will show that you are an eager participant.

2. Ask questions

The Blue Diamond Gallery

Internships are all about experience. You need to actively be participating in order to benefit the most from the experience. If you have a question, speak up! People will actually appreciate it. I was told by several people at my internship that they like me because I ask questions. You want to actively engage with others and learn as much as you can.

3. Be polite

This is a no-brainer, but when you meet anyone- whether it is a janitor or a secretary, or a CEO or politician, introduce yourself and produce a brief, firm handshake. Tell them you are an intern and that you are happy to be here. Always greet everyone with a smile and a "hello" or "good morning". Be sure to address people by their proper titles. Refer to them as "sir" or "ma'am" if you are unsure of their name. Use people's requested pronouns. Say "yes" instead of "yeah" and always be sure to say "please" and "thank you"!!! When you leave for the day, tell people "have a great day" or "good night". Do not complain; having a negative attitude will only hurt you. And obviously, STAY OFF YOUR PHONE!!! When you come to your internship, you should let people know for the day that you will be off your phone. Your phone should be on silent and as soon as you are ready to leave your vehicle, out of sight. Take notes or write down important dates/contact information the old-fashioned way: paper and pencil. The only time you should be on your phone is if you are specifically told to do so, or when you get back into your car at the end of the day. If you absolutely cannot resist, check your notifications when you go to the bathroom. Stay off your phone at lunch if you eat with others- you want to come across as approachable.

4. Watch what you say

Do not- under any circumstances- ever engage in gossip. This can be detrimental, result in you being asked to leave, or worse- tarnish your reputation.There is no excuse to gossip about your co-workers or gossip with a co-worker. Do not complain about the company you are interning for. If someone starts to talk about someone or a situation with you, do not agree with them. Find some way to politely exit the conversation. Just say "excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom" or "I'm sorry, but I really have to get this done, I'd better get back to work". Do not get roped into this unprofessionalism. It makes you look bad. Also, keep your conversations light and professional- do not discuss your relationships, your sex life, going drinking, and especially, follow the cardinal rule: never discuss religion or politics. Do not ask others personal questions. For instance, if you are interning at a law enforcement agency, probably the worst question you could ask someone is "have you ever shot anyone?". Likewise, if you are interning in the medical field, do not ask "have you ever lost a patient?" These questions can bring up unpleasant feelings for the respondent, and you come across as brash.

5. Dress for success

Appearance does matter. A good rule of thumb is to always a dress a little nicer than necessary. For instance if the attire is business casual, wear nice dress pants and a dress shirt with a tie. You do not necessarily need to wear a suit, unless it is business professional. Similarly, adding a blazer over a blouse can dress up a business casual outfit. Dress especially nice for your interview, and even for dropping off paperwork. Your hair should always be clean and styled in a modest hairdo, out of your face. If you love creating glam looks or wearing bright makeup, that's great, but an internship is not the place to rock an awesome cut-crease, dramatic winged liner, neon eyeshadow, or blue lipstick. Stick to neutral shades of eyeshadow- beige, pastel pink or peach, and avoid a smokey eye. Leave the fake eyelashes and bright lipstick for fun nights on the town and opt for a more conservative look. Make sure your shoes are always tied and clean.

6. Express your gratitude

Maxpixel

Thank you notes are always a great way to show someone you care. If someone helped you out on a project, send them a thank you note. Send a thank you note to someone who went out of their way to provide an experience for you. Send a thank you note to the person who coordinated the internship for you. Be specific in your notes- be sure to write exactly what you are thankful and why. Be sincere. Maybe bring some muffins or cookies into the break room on your last day with a note thanking everyone for the experience, as well as list any possible allergens in the food. Thank people in person, and use stationary for thank you notes. Emails are nice, but a thank you note is something they can hold on to and shows a little more effort on your part.