If More Internet Providers Service Valdosta, GA, They Will Beat AT&T

An appeal to break up this limited internet monopoly

21
Wikimedia

What do you like better, satellite/cable or Netflix and Hulu? I think many people would currently choose the later. Little to no commercials, everything you want to watch is on demand, and you can ignore anything you don't want to watch. Online streaming is where it's at. Isn't it nice to only pay for what you actually want?

What about shopping-do you do most of your shopping in stores or online? Certainly shopping with friends is fun, as is seeing and feeling products in person, but these days if there is a specific item you are after, you'll find it more swiftly on the internet than in physical stores.

What about conducting your own business? If you are just starting out or a busy stay at home mom, it would make sense to conduct business online over paying the cost of maintaining a retail space. Plus if you have a business through a direct sales company, online sales can be a big help when you're unable to schedule in-person events for one reason or another.

All this said, my point is people like me value the use of the internet far more than other entertainment services. If we could get rid our satellite in place of a solid internet service, we would be happy to do so. All we are getting out of our satellite service right now is Mickey Mouse Club and a few games during basketball and football season.

Here's the thing, AT&T practically has a monopoly throughout most of the area. They have a monopoly in my neighborhood. The only providers we can get are AT&T, Direct TV (through AT&T), and Satellite Internet through Hugh's Net (an AT&T affiliate). When we signed up for AT&T for our cell phones, we were told that they could not connect internet services to our address; yet, my next door neighbors had AT&T internet. We were told our only option to get internet would be to sign up for Direct TV (which we didn't need) to get unlimited internet on our smartphones only. So we could browse the internet and use apps on our phones but try submitting freelance writing pieces, Odyssey articles, or conducting a direct sales business solely on your phone. As I sit here writing, I'm borrowing my neighbor's internet because however savvy my texting ability may seem, typing on a keyboard with a bigger screen allows me to be more efficient and produce better work.

So while I've been making due with limited internet capabilities and coming to terms with a two-year Direct TV contract I didn't want but settled for as it was the more affordable option, I found an AT&T truck parked at my other next door neighbor's house. Upon further investigation, I found out that they were installing internet. I inquired with AT&T and they set up a date to come install internet for us as well. They set up a date in mid-November; they were no shows. They rescheduled us for December, then January, then February, and then I told them that after postponing our installation for several months I was no longer interested.

We are not the only ones who have experienced this. Some good friends of ours waited eight years for internet just down the road. They thought they were on AT&T's waiting list for two years when they learned that there was no waiting list; AT&T was only installing internet for customers who were paying for landlines in addition to the internet service. I can't help but think there is a pattern here. If you purchase several other services, then you can also purchase their over-priced internet.

If another internet company serviced my area offering me an opportunity to only pay for what I want rather than being obligated to pay for many add-ons, they would have my business. Bonus if they offer internet at a better rate. If I could save money on internet and save $600+ a year not paying for sattilite, that company will have my business in a heartbeat. I'm sure many people will feel the same way!

Basic economics. Supply and Demand. AT&T figured out that people demand internet far more than their other services, so they have made their internet services available primarily to customers who will pay for the other services. If another internet company offers good internet with loads of data and streaming capabilities without all the strings attached, it will sell like hotcakes because they would actually be supplying what people want.

So, other providers, what are you waiting for? I promise you, the business opportunity is here! Please come help us break up AT&T's monopoly in our area! Our wallets will thank you!