Internet Freedom Is Being Stolen

Internet Freedom Is Being Stolen

Protesting against net neutrality in America.
20

Do you love the internet as much as everyone else in America? Well, hold onto that love because your internet freedom is going to be stolen from you.

Net neutrality is the basic principle that you have the right to access anything on the internet you want without your internet service provider (ISP) slowing down or blocking any content. This is about to change.

In just a couple months, net neutrality will be completely destroyed and ISPs will have complete control over what internet you are allowed to access. Fundamentally, the more money you pay your ISP equals a larger internet range.

In 2015, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) passed net neutrality protection based on Title II of the Communications Act, strengthening internet freedom as much as possible.

However, on May 18, the FCC voted to allow Ajit Pai, Trump's FCC chairman, to pass his plan on destroying net neutrality.

This plan is great for big phone and cable companies. Is it great for the general public as well? Not so much.

The struggle to earn the freedom of speech in America is a well-known one and is dictated in the first amendment. This plan will rid the internet of free speech and ISPs will be able to decide who gets heard and who doesn't.

It's convenient that the amendments America is built on don't apply to President Trump and his chairmen.

How come so many people don't know about net neutrality? It's not a big deal if it's not popular, right?

Wrong. Millions of people around America have made a stand about net neutrality and the only reason there aren't more people protesting is because the FCC is trying to keep this as quiet as possible, predicting the negative reactions the public will have and does have.

The Internet Association, including Google, Twitter, Uber, Netflix and many more, as well as other internet communication sites, like Discord, are speaking out against internet restrictions.

If you think this won't apply to you, you're wrong. This will impact all internet-users.

Lucky for us, the public still maintains the rights the first amendment guarantees us that the FCC would like to ignore and we are able to peacefully assemble and protest, as so many are currently doing.

Spread the word about net neutrality and tell your friends about what is happening. Knowledge is a weapon!

Most importantly, take a stand to maintain net neutrality. Don't say goodbye to open internet; welcome it back to America.

Join the millions of other people protesting against this grotesque coercion and speak your mind! Tell the FFC what net neutrality means to you at https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/proceedings?q=name:((17-108)) by clicking +express. Simply fill out the required information and tell FFC what you think in the comment section.

Don't let your open internet be taken away. Tell everyone you know about what's going on and stand up for what you believe in. Good luck, America.