Why I Intern With A Non-Profit

Why I Intern With A Non-Profit

No, I don't get anyone coffee.

11
Why I Intern With A Non-Profit
Ansley Cartwright

I needed an internship. I still work retail and childcare and love my jobs to death, but I needed something that would look nice on a resume especially after my quarter-life crisis of changing my major. I was struggling. I thought I knew exactly what I was going to do with my life and had everything planned, but changing my major shifted those career goals.

This summer, I was fortunate enough to be offered a position as a development intern for the marketing and public relations department for a non-profit. In my elevator speech, I resort the same phrase of what it is I do on a day to day basis and it's not getting coffee. I work with digital marketing and social media to help manage campaigns, promote a positive image, and coordinate content.

I began as a marketing-public relations double major, so this is everything I want to do but not in the way I thought I would be doing it. I never thought about or considered working with a non-profit- it just wasn't on my radar. But this summer, it's everything I could've asked for.

Between the hours of 9 and 5, I don't just build a career. I don't change to create an Instagram post. I don't just sit in on meetings. And I definitely don't just sit in a cubicle. I help change lives for the better in my community. The social media post I made that encouraged someone to donate $30 feeds a child lunch over the summer for two weeks. The story I wrote inspired someone to buy an item from a company that donated 10 sandwiches with every purchase. The work I do doesn't just build my resume it makes a difference.

I read through a whole filing cabinet full of stories of people whose lives changed forever because the ministry I work for. Very few interns get to say that their work makes the world truly a better place. The community in the office is supportive and helpful. I have never even been asked to get coffee despite the "intern" job title. I was invited in- to do good work that does good things for good people. This summer, I sat down with a homeless woman who rebuilt her life and is living on her own for the first time since losing everything she had. I gave a child lunch who was hungry. I met volunteers that dedicate their time and money and invest all their love into what we do- and we get to make it all count.