10 Interesting Questions for a Better Conversation

Become Confident With Conversation

Bring your conversation skills from 0 to 100.

9
Become Confident With Conversation
Priscilla Du Preez

Human beings are social beings. It's a fact. We crave and grow from social interaction, and the connections we make on a daily basis play an influential role in our lives. When getting to know another person, whether a potential partner, friend, or colleague, maintaining the flow and depth of the conversation can, at one point, become a barrier, especially if you're not particularly the extroverted type. When it seems that you've reached a dead end, do not fear, because there is always subject for discussion. Here is a list of just some questions to ask to keep the conversation smooth and interesting.

What is your favorite book?

This may seem like a basic question to ask, but it could definitely help you learn more about the person you're talking to. Don't just stop there though. Be genuinely interested and encourage them to explain why they prefer fiction over nonfiction or what struck them most about their favorite book, for example.

Do you prefer TV shows or films?

Maybe, just maybe, you'll realize you're both into reality TV, and that'll already be one thing in common.

What is your favorite genre of music?

There's so much to talk about when it comes to music. It's a universal language that unites people. Get the chance to learn about their musical tastes and their favorite artists.

If you had the chance to meet and spend the day with a famous person, who would it be?

Instead of straight up asking who their favorite celebrity is, ask them to elaborate on why they chose that specific person or how they would want to spend the day with them.

What is the funniest thing someone has ever told you?

This is a good question to ask if you're trying to indirectly gain an understanding of their sense of humor.

What are some of your passions?

There's nothing more revealing about one's personality than his or her passions. Asking this will help you learn who they are, to an extent, and what they are most interested in.

Which country would you love to travel to the most?

Find out if they enjoy going to new places, meeting different people, and encourage further discussion by asking them what they would be excited to see during their trip.

What is your ideal day?

This is a simple, yet revealing, question that can enable you to see how the person engages with their day and what their daily preferences are.

Whom do you look up to?

If you want to take a more profound route, allow them to talk about their role model. In this way, they'll be able to offer what they value, admire, and aspire to be like.

If there's one thing that you would most like to change about the world, what would it be?

There's a lot to be done about the world, but this question narrows in on their specific global interests and concerns. You'll be able to find out what they care about and what holds special importance for them.
These questions aren't meant to be simple yes or no questions. In order to spark an interesting, engaging conversation, you need to have a unique approach. Asking relevant questions in a more descriptive, precise manner will allow more descriptive answers from the person you're talking to, and that's the best way you'll really get to know someone.