Top 5 Most Interesting Jobs For College Students

Earning some extra pocket money doesn't have to be boring.

23

One of the realities of life is that you're unlikely to ever have quite as much money as you'd like to have. That's true in every stage of life, but it'll feel particularly evident when you're in college and suddenly can't just ask your parents for a few dollars whenever you're a bit short.

Jobs are often in short supply on any college campus because there are far more students than there are open positions. Sometimes, the best employer is "whoever will hire you." Being a college student, though, doesn't necessarily mean that you need to earn your paychecks tossing pizzas or waiting tables. With a touch of creativity, you can find money where other students aren't looking – and potentially do far better for yourself in the process.

These are the top 5 most interesting jobs for college students.

1. Freelance

One of the easiest ways to find work as a college student is by looking outside your campus. That's not easy to do if you don't have a car on campus, though – and even if you do, a lengthy commute would cut into your study time. The easiest way to find work outside your campus is by looking for virtual work online. Businesses across the world need help with various tasks and lack the resources to take on new employees – so they hire freelancers.

As a freelancer, you can compete for a variety of gigs and earn money from your dorm room. You can also work according to your own schedule and complete tasks when it's convenient for you. Some of the most common freelance jobs that you can find involve writing, programming, website creation, search engine optimization, and graphic design. If you have skill in any of those areas, you can find work.

Working as a freelancer has two downsides. The first is that you'll have to pay a very high self-employment tax on your earnings. The second drawback is that your earnings may be very low at first. As a freelancer, you'll compete with people around the world for gigs.

Some of those people will be from developing nations and will be willing to work for little money. Over time, though, you'll collect experience and build a list of regular clients. Once you've built a strong reputation, you'll begin to receive higher-paying offers. After a while, you'll likely earn more money than most of your peers.

2. Vape Shop

Do you vape? If you do, there is probably at least one local vape shop that would love to have you as an employee. A local vape shop is typically a small business with only a handful of employees – so the vape shops in your city may not be hiring when the school year begins.

A position eventually will open up, though – so make sure that every local vape shop has your resume on file. When you deliver your resume to the vape shops in your area, speak a bit about your experience as a vaper to ensure that the owners of the shops know you have the appropriate knowledge. Your interpersonal skill is another key component of your success as a vape shop employee, so be as friendly and outgoing as you can while delivering your resume.

Even online vape shops will often hire college students when they need a bit of extra help. Vape shop owner Jason Cugle of Triple 7 Vaping says, "I always keep the numbers of a few local college students on file for those times when I have too many orders to pack and don't want to fall behind."

3. Salesperson

Are you a great talker who loves people? Would you like a chance to earn a truly significant amount of money from your college job? If you answered "yes" to both of those questions, working as a commission-based sales associate might be perfect for you.

One of the challenges of looking for work as a college student is that you don't have much in the way of skills, qualifications and prior work experience to put on your resume. None of that matters, though, if you're looking for a job as a salesperson. If you're a good talker and can make people like you, you'll find a company willing to give you a chance. If you're not sure where to look for a sales position, try your local auto dealerships and furniture stores.

The drawback of a commission-based job is that you only earn money when you close a deal. In the auto and furniture industries, though, the commissions are often good enough to justify the effort. If you know how to sell products, you could earn more as a part-time salesperson than many people earn working full time. The skills that you learn as a salesperson can greatly enhance your life in the future regardless of the industry in which you ultimately work.

4. Tutor

Tutoring is one of those classic jobs for college students. You spent your middle school and high school years developing your skill in a subject such as math or a foreign language, and tutoring is an opportunity to pass your knowledge along to younger students. Don't forget that academic subjects aren't the only areas in which you'll find tutoring opportunities. Were you on the high school golf team? Did you play an instrument in the band? Offer private lessons.

5. Bartend

If you can hold a conversation and mix drinks with speed and flair, you might make a good bartender. People love their bartenders. Tending bar is an opportunity to become a key part of one of the most happening social scenes on campus. You'll meet plenty of interesting people – and hopefully earn some generous tips – in the process.

Remember, though, that working as a bartender while you're in college requires an enormous amount of discipline. Every work night, you'll be a witness at ground zero of one of your school's best party destinations. You're not there to take part, though; you're there to enhance others' enjoyment. Keep your distance from the party if you don't want your grades to go down the tubes.