5 Interesting Facts You Need To Know Before Seeing 'It'

Aren'tcha gonna say, hello?
129

The highly anticipated adaptation of Stephen King's classic novel "It" is right around the corner. The novel (and the 1990 mini-series) pretty much marked the moment when humanity realized it was scared sh*tless of clowns.

Will the new movie live up to expectations, or will become yet another sub par retread of something we love? Before we find out, let's grab some balloons and take a look at five of the most interesting facts about everybody's favorite story about a supernatural killer clown.

5. The Significance of 27

The number 27 has an eerie connection to It, both in terms of the story and real life. In the story, Pennywise awakens every 27 years to feast on the children of Derry, Maine. In real life, the new movie is set to release 27 years after the 1990 miniseries. Unfortunately, the significance of 27 is also connected to a tragedy pertaining to one of stars of the 1990 miniseries. Johnathan Brandis, who played young Bill Denbrough, committed suicide in 2003 at the age of 27.

4. Seth Green's Role In The Mini-Series

Out of all of the children in the Losers' Club (the protagonists of the story), the most recognizable in both versions is Richie Tozier. In the new version, Richie is being played by Mike of Stranger Things fame. In the mini series, the character was played by Robot Chicken creator Seth Green. I'm pretty sure he made fun of his role at some point with his show.

3. The Makeup Influence

In order to achieve the iconic look of Pennywise, the filmmakers of the miniseries took influence from one of cinema's earliest triumphs in makeup. Bart Mixon, who worked on the SFX for the miniseries, has stated in interviews that he took inspiration from Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Opera. He wanted to take the head of Chaney's Phantom and mold it into that of a clown.

2. Tim Curry Almost Played The Joker

Tim Curry's role as Pennywise the Dancing Clown is arguably his most famous role. Since he was so good at playing a clown, it only made sense that he would he be approached to play the most popular clown in pop culture history. Curry was originally slated to play The Joker in the critically acclaimed Batman: The Animated Series. However, after he recorded his first set of lines, Curry was booted of the show because the show runners thought that his voice would be too scary for their target audience. Curry would be replaced by Mark Hamill (best known for playing Luke Skywalker in Star Wars), who's role is considered the definitive Joker by many Batman fans.

1. It is Part of a Connected Universe

Yes, apparently It is part of a connected universe with other Stephen King stories. This connected universe revolves around The Dark Tower, another notable Stephen King story. A particular connection to these other stories is Pennywise's rivalry with a giant turtle who created our universe (I am not making this up). Despite these connections, due to The Dark Tower's disappointing theatrical run, it's unlikely that you will see a Stephen King Cinematic Universe anytime soon.