Instructions to Troubleshoot Netgear Extender Red Light Issue
News

Before you jump into the fixes to troubleshoot the issue

142

Are you fed up of Netgear extender red light issue? Is the issue bothering you again and again? Don't sweat over it! It is the most common issues faced and reported by every second Netgear extender user. And your device is also included. So, relax, kick off all your worries, continue reading this post and know how to fix the issue in a fly. Keep scrolling down!

Reasons Why You Are Facing The Issue

Before you jump into the fixes to troubleshoot the issue, allow us to make you familiar with the reasons behind it. Identifying the reason behind Netgear extender red light issue will somehow help you fix the issue in a jiffy. Scroll down a little!

• You haven't placed your range extender at its ideal location.
  • The distance between your Netgear device and router is too close or too far.
  • Hardware or software-related glitches can also be one of the biggest reasons behind Netgear extender not connecting to router issue.
  • You haven't completed the Netgear extender setup process.
  • The extender's WiFi signals are interrupted by unknown networks or devices.
  • Issue from your ISP end.
  • Unknown devices are connected to Netgear_ext
  • The firmware of your Netgear extender is outdated.
  • The connection between your range extender and router isn't strong enough.

That's all! So, these were some of the topmost reasons why you are stuck with the issue. Now, let's have a quick glance at the solution to fix it, shall we? Scroll down a little!

Fixed: Netgear Extender Red Light Issue

Power Cycle Your Netgear Device

One of the common yet major reasons why you are struggling with the issue is because of minor hardware or software glitches. In order to get rid of them, it is advised to power cycle or reboot your Netgear extender.

Here are the steps needed to power cycle your Netgear extender:

• First things first, disconnect your router from Netgear_ext.
  • Then, unplug your Netgear device from the wall socket.
  • Count to 30.
  • Now, plug in your extender.
  • Wait for the power LED to become stable.

Once the LED on your device becomes stable, connect your router to Netgear_ext and try to access the new extender setup page. Is the issue fixed? If not, try the next troubleshooting tactic in our post.

Update the Firmware

Updating Netgear extender firmware not just helps you get rid of the red light issue but also improves the security and overall performance of the device. So, without much delay – update the firmware of your extender by following the on-screen instructions. Continue reading!

• Connect your router with Netgear_ext.
  • Launch a web browser on your computer or laptop.
  • Log in to your extender using mywifiext.net web address or 192.168.1.250 IP. For Apple or iOS device users, use mywifiext local web address.
  • Head over to the Settings page of your Netgear extender and click on the Firmware Update option.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Factory Reset Your Netgear Extender

Are you still seeing red light on your Netgear extender? If your answer is yes, then the last option you are left with is to factory reset your Netgear extender. Walk through the instructions outlined underneath to factory reset your device. Read on!

• Locate the reset hole on your Netgear extender.
  • Once found, press and hold it.
  • Wait for some time.
  • Release the Netgear extender reset hole.

As soon as you are done resetting your Netgear extender, reconfigure it again by following the on-screen instructions given on Netgear Genie setup wizard. For this, you have to log in to your extender using 192.168.1.250 IP or mywifiext.net web address.

To Sum Up

Our article on how to fix Netgear extender red light issue ends here. Even after following the aforementioned troubleshooting tactics, you are unable to resolve the issue, then it is advised – without much delay, drop us a line into the comments section.