10 Steps You Should Follow When Installing Kitchen Faucets

Why hire a professional plumber just to install your kitchen faucet why today’s modern faucets are so easy to install?

225

Why hire a professional plumber just to install your kitchen faucet why today’s modern faucets are so easy to install? Installing a faucet is really of the easiest plumbing tasks and also you can save a lot of money. Let’s see how to start the installation process with this first step.

Step 1: Turn off the hot and cold water lines

Firstly, there should be two cutoff valves present below the sink. There are possibilities that they are present somewhere else in a basement or utility shed.

You can turn the valves in a clockwise direction to shut them off. While turning the valves if you want to be aware for sure let the tap running a bit.

Stay calm and do the process carefully, especially when you are moving the valves after a long time.

Step 2: Turn on the existing faucet

Doing this will release pressure in the water lines and enables you to double check that the pipes are turned off.

And before you continue this thing, just see if faucet control(s) is empty, in case you there are 2 controls, check both of them.

Step 3: Detach the existing faucet from the sink

Now, detach the nuts holding the faucet to the sink. The nuts are usually situated below the sink, just below where the faucet connects to the sink.

Depending on the type of sink you have, if the nuts are situated on the top, simply separate the handles and deck plates. Now, you can easily access the nuts.

Step 4: Clean the sink surface

Always make sure that you don’t forget to clean the new fixture.

Wash away any kind of grunge and dirt.

Using a putty knife is the ideal way to do this clean-up job.

Also, make sure that you clean mold and rust from the surface.

Step 5: Place new putty onto the new deck plate

There is some faucet that comes with a rubber or plastic gasket rather than a putty plate.

So, if you have one, just see you set it onto the proper holes on the sink.

In case your faucet doesn’t have a putty plate or gasket, you can use the plumber’s putty on the lower surface of the rim of the deck plate.

Now, while putting this string into the groove of the deck plate, slowly press it into place.

Step 6: Place the new deck and faucet

First, see to it that and assure if all the holes are accounted for.

If you want to change the method where you need to drill a new hole for fastening.

Read the manufacturer’s instructions and make the deck plate and faucet to put in the right place. Let’s be clearer, it means setting two bolts onto the deck plate.

So, either you have to add the faucet after the deck plate or it may be important to do them both at a time.

Step 7: Install the washers and mounting hardware

Here you’ll require fasteners to join the nuts and washers with the bolts holding the deck plate and also nuts and washers holding the faucet itself.

Always follow the faucet manufacturer’s instructions for more surety.

Give an extra turn to the nuts using your hands.

Always reassure that the deck and faucets are placed in the right position.

Step 8: Clean the area

Using a putty knife or utility knife and clean any extra plumber’s putty present on the surface.

But in case, you hadn’t made a strong connection then you may need to lock the area with caulk or a sealant.

Step 9: Connect the water supply lines

Screw up the water supply lines to the faucet’s connection using your hands.

Use a wrench to make more secure connections.

Check if there is a need to change the water supply lines (in case of cracked or old ones).

Step 10: Turn the supplies on

Before you turn on the supplies, see if the faucet is in off position.

Don’t forget to check the leaks in the supply lines and faucet. Then, recheck with the faucet on.

In case, any leak is found examine each and every step more closely and see if you had made any mistake or if you need plumber tape.

Contact the professional plumber or the faucet’s manufacturer if there are still leaks.

Tips on choosing the right faucet

So now you have learned how to install a faucet but before you indulge in the installation process, you should know what type of faucets are best for you. There are certain things you should consider before you buy one!

It is not necessary if the product is aesthetically good it’ll also have amazing features. Look for a faucet so you don’t have to compromise with ease-of-use and durability.

While investing in a kitchen or bathroom faucet make sure you invest on the correct one. Inexpensive faucets are also available but there are possibilities you might have to deal with low-quality ones. If you are spending more, look at the reliability of the product instead of style.

Faucets with ceramic valves are the best and prevent it to drip. Yes, other valves also assure to give a few years of warranty but ceramic valves lasts long. Also, they hardly make any difference in terms of cost.

Count the number of hole in the sink if you want to replace your two-handled faucet to one. Generally, you’ll find three holes in the sink: one for hot, one for cold and third one under the spout.

Buying a single-handle faucet is recommended the most, especially if you have traditional bathrooms. These faucets provide you with all the comfort, from being more convenient to adjust the water temperature to the clean-up job.

If you ever had a faucet with spray handle mounted in the sink, you might have faced problems of leaks. In such cases, it is recommended to have pull-down sprayers, which are more reliable than the others.