Insomnia

Everyone has struggled with sleeping problems. But what is the difference, between not being able to sleep, and suffering from insomnia?

In recent years, I have come to know insomnia way too well. Insomnia is defined as the "inability to sleep." But it isn't just not being able to sleep for a night that qualifies you to be suffering from it. It is more than just not being able to sleep, it's also struggling to stay asleep. There are many symptoms that come into play with insomnia, it is also the inability to stay asleep, once you have already fallen asleep. When you wake up from a "good" nights sleep, you feel irritated, tired, it becomes hard to concentrate on certain tasks, headaches, and wanting to sleep during the day time.

Many have told me, "It's not that bad, relax, you can just sleep later." Sleep is a key point that helps us function, and those who don't suffer from insomnia don't understand how bad it can become. For a time, I had mine under control, I would take Valerian Root, a sleep supplement that kept my insomnia under control, it was amazing to be able to sleep, and feel well rested in the morning. As time went on, I knew the Valerian Root was wearing off, it didn't work on me anymore.

Lately, I have been feeling the pain of insomnia, not actual pain, but it comes pretty close. A night with insomnia consists of the following for me:

First, nightly routine. Getting into bed.To relax, I like to read, or listen to some soft music. This always helps with the process of getting sleepy. Once I can feel myself getting sleepy, I turn on my side to finally sleep. I can feel I'm sleepy and ready to hit, but then I suddenly get a burst of "nope, you ain't going to sleep." At times, I toss and turn, in trying to make myself tired. I always hope that the tossing and turning helps me get tired. Throughout the whole night I move back and forth, and it will come to the point where it is emotionally painful. I can't sleep, and knowing I have class in a few hours doesn't make it any better, it just makes me irritable by this time. Frustration starts to take over, and at this point, I haven't checked my clock yet. Sometimes, I have checked my clock, going to "sleep" at 11 P.M., checking my clock and realizing it 3 or 4 in the morning. I usually accept defeat, and know I won't be going to sleep that night, or knowing there will be a possibility of me falling asleep, but I won't be asleep for long.

Experiencing a day, after experiencing a night of insomnia is torture, sometimes. You become easily irritated by things that may not necessarily bother you. Your're tired, but you have to go through the day, because you still need to be a responsible adult.

Although this may happen multiple times a week, there are times when you get the best sleep. There are many natural remedies that may help you fall into a deep, refreshing sleep. Everyone is different, therefore it may affect people in different ways, but there are ways to beat it.