Why I Write

Why I Write

"Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not wanted to speak about. Be willing to be split wide open." - Natalie Goldberg

14
Why I Write

I'd be lying if I said it is easy. Writer's Block is a real thing, ladies and gents! I do what all the journalistic help websites say; I keep a notebook with a list of topics I could write about. I keep this notebook on me so if I am every out (class, work, food store, or even the bar) I can jot down and idea as it comes to me- a lot comes to me when I am at the bar. But it doesn't always form a good article. It's not always "newsworthy" or relevant but most of all, it doesn't always have a message. I hate writing something without a message, without a reason or purpose behind it. I hate publishing something, with my name on it, when I know it isn't good.

It's a real struggle some weeks.

So why do I do it? Right? I ask myself this question here and there; when the articles I write aren't getting enough shares or when I can't think of a single thing to even write about. But I continue to write- about anything at times- because it resonates with someone. Someone out there is comforted by, laughing at, crying with, or getting angry at my articles. It brings emotion out of them that they wouldn't have had if it weren't for what I wrote.

I write because it simply helps. Selfishly. I guess, I will say writing helps me find... me. Writing is a source of therapy for me. Somedays I write about something I am really struggling with because when I put pen to paper (or fingertips to keys), I feel better afterward. Sometimes I need a good laugh, sometimes a good cry. Writing helps it all. It helps me breathe through and analyze certain things. It helps me connect to the world. It gives me purpose.

But what I appreciate most, the real reason I write, is because it helps others. Since I have begun writing for the Odyssey, almost a year ago, I have had an incredible amount of people come to me. They say my articles meant something to them, or that it taught them something, or that they need advice about a certain topic they saw I wrote about. This is all the gratitude and appreciation that I need. Knowing that my articles affected someone, somewhere- that is what makes me believe in journalism and writing. It makes me remember why I fell in love with this form of art at such a young age.

Hearing from people, receiving texts and messages on social media, about their struggles and how I helped has brought me closer to people I never thought I'd talk to. It's brought me closer to sorority sisters and campus acquaintances that I've always known on the surface but never deep down. I have built friendships solely off of that "I saw your article and it really impacted me" text.

This is why I write. This is why I don't give up on my dreams and my talents. I could get discouraged and sometimes I do, but then I remember why I don't quit. I love to help people. I love giving people that feeling that they're not alone. I love being someone's shoulder to lean on; someone to talk to. Helping people helps me find my place and my purpose. I love to write because it ties all of that into one perfect bundle.

So, thank you to those who have shown me what I do is worth it. Thank you to the friends I've made and the support we give each other when times get hard. You all mean more to me than you know.

This is mainly an appreciation note for all of you who constantly encourage me as a writer and for those who have personally made writing these articles more worth it than I ever thought it could be.