Did You Know Your (insert person's name) Suffers From Depression?

41

Did you know that (insert person's name) struggled to get out of bed this morning? Did you know that (insert person's name) thought about committing suicide today? Did you know that (insert person's name) thought about quitting their job because they hated it? Did you know that (insert relationship) thought about breaking up with you, ending the relationship, and walking out the door on you today?

All because they battle depression. And you don't even know it.

What I find ironic is that when people come out and admit that they are lesbian, gay, homosexual, or whatever the case may be, the world rejoices, they commend them, and in the case of Bruce Jenner, they put him on covers of magazines, give him awards, medals, and commend him for amazing things. But let me ask you a serious question.

Have you ever seen anyone suffering from depression get an award? Nope. I didn't think so.

When you look at your favorite coworker, you talk to your neighbor, you joke with the attendant at the gas station, you have a long conversation with your (insert relationship or name here), you might think you know them, know a lot about them, can tell others about them, and share things about them to someone that you know.

But did you ever take the time to ask if they suffer from depression?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

Every day someone wakes up in the morning, they struggle. Whether it is struggling to get out of bed, struggling to go to their job, struggling to get along with someone in their house, struggling to pay the bills, struggling to eat breakfast, lunch or dinner, or struggling to even like the person they are. Have you taken the time to ask someone is okay?

For all you know, they are suffering from depression. And your 30 seconds or two minutes could make the difference between life and death.

You work with someone. You sit next to them. You share a lunch table with them. You talk about baseball with them. You ask how their family life is going. You want to know if their dog is better. You ask about the cat they have that's about to have kittens. But have you asked if they are having a bad day because they suffer from depression?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

People don't seem to realize that even the richest person in the world could be suffering from depression. They don't realize that someone with the "perfect job" could be suffering from depression. They don't realize that someone that has everything the world could ever offer might be suffering from depression. But have you taken the time to ask them?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

Depression is a bad word. It's one of the dirtiest words that people know. It scares people. It sends them going off in the opposite direction. It causes them to whisper behind someone's back. It frightens people off. It destroys families. It causes the end of friendships. And it even results in people committing suicide. But let me ask you a question. If you notice a coworker, a friend, someone you play sports with, or your neighbor having a really bad day, did you ever stop to ask them if they are fighting depression?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

When someone talks about their personal life, talks about their job, talks about their wife, husband, kids, dogs, cats or their hobbies, it's a wide open conversation. Everyone is friendly, everyone participates, everyone likes to chat, but the minute you stop and say, "I also deal with depression", let me see how quickly they continue to smile at you, talk to you, listen to you, and share their personal lives with you.

Yeah. I didn't think so.

There are support groups out there. There are therapists, counselors, psychiatrists, psychologists and doctors that help people deal with depression. But the saddest fact of all? The minute your friends, neighbors, coworkers, teachers or relatives find out that you battle depression, do you think they are going to be as willing to pick up the phone, answer text messages, or be your buddy?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

You most likely don't realize that someone battling depression might have a high paying job, be in an important position, have a lot of friends, have a good marriage, have some amazing kids, might have a nice house, drive a nice expensive car, have money in the bank, and live comfortably. But have you ever stopped to consider even those with the "perfect life" may suffer from depression?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

And as you are reading this, you might be asking yourself a question such as, "why is this person writing an article like this? He doesn't know a thing about depression. He doesn't know what people are like battling depression. He doesn't understand what someone goes through day after day after day. He doesn't have a clue. He's talking about something he doesn't understand and doesn't have knowledge of", but did you ever stop to read this article and ask yourself a question like "Hey, maybe he might be going through the same thing?"

Yeah. I didn't think so.

So here's the amazing thing about this article. I have a good paying job. I live comfortably. I have friends. I have family. I live in a nice house. I even drive a nice car. I am properly educated. I spent 8 years in college. I do well. And the most shocking part about it? Did you know that I suffer from depression?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

Before you judge someone, how about you ask someone? Before you criticize someone for having a bad day, how about you talk to someone? Before you insult them, laugh at them, talk about them behind their back, or make sarcastic comments, how about you take the time to get to know them. Can you do that? And I'd like to not have to follow up with the important sentence I've repeated in this story.

Yeah. I didn't think so.

People don't openly admit they have depression. it puts a stigma on them. It puts a label on them. it scares people away from them. It casts them in a different light. It gets them judged. It gets them looked down on. But have you ever stopped to take a moment to think that maybe people battling depression are real people too? That they hurt inside. That they suffer from the pain of being judged, cast out, insulted, criticized or treated differently?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

And I'm here to tell you something. It's not easy. It's not always sunshine and rainbows. It's a struggle some days to just get out of bed. It's harder to go through a very difficult day. It's hard to trust people. It's hard to maintain a "normal" life style. And doing it without medication, without a doctor, without seeing a therapist or a psychologist, and without trusting and talking to people, it's something different to deal with day after day after day your entire life. Did you know that?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

Don't judge someone until you know someone. Don't criticize someone until you understand what they go through. don't call someone out for having a bad day. Maybe you should ask them a simple question - "Do you suffer from depression?" And I'd like the answer to be other than something I've already written.

Yeah. I didn't think so.

Depression. It's an ugly word. It destroys lives. It ruins families. And it kills people. Did you know that?

I sure hope so.