Insensitivity in Society

Insensitivity in Society

The Sad Truth to What We Have Become

400
Insensitivity in Society
Maria Victoria Heredia Reyes

On September 17, 2015; Lady Gaga released a song titled "Till it Happens to You". It's a beautiful song, with a sad but powerful message behind it. The song might be a little "dated"; but I feel as though it has a message that people should know.

The music video begins by giving a warning message that states:

The following contains graphic content that may be emotionally unsettling but reflects the reality of what is happening daily on college campuses.

If you've never heard the song, that message can take you by surprise. It makes you wonder what on earth the song could be about.

Simply put, the song is about sexual assault. There are so many songs about sex, drugs, partying, living the high life and everything else under the son that we as a society have come to view sex in a golden light. But, sadly, not all sex is beautiful.

To me, society has become numb to the idea that rape is a real thing, for both male and female; because Feminatzi's have taken over the internet. We as a society have become blind to the fact that there are people suffering from trauma that we are so insensitive to that we joke about it.

The first verse and chorus of "Till it Happens to You" explains just how numb and blind society is:

You tell me it gets better, it gets better in time
You say I'll pull my self together, pull it together
You'll be fine
Tell me what the hell do you know
What do you know
Tell me how the hell could you know
How could you know

Till it happens to you, you don't know
How it feels
How it feels
Till it happens to you, you won't know
It won't be real
No it won't be real
Won't know how it feels

As these words are being sung the video flashes images of girls being raped by a boss, a friend, and a complete stranger. The power of the words speak so much truth of our society: how our society doesn't know what it is like to be the victim and yet pretends that everything is fine.

Rapists are released from prison because they "have good records". What happened to the record of that person forcing himself upon someone, taking something from them and permanently affecting them? Men who are raped aren't given a fair trial because "it was seduction". We, collectively ad a society, care so little about the people who need the most care.

Lady Gaga is right. We don't know what it's like and I pray that most people don't know what it is like but that doesn't give us reason to be so numb to the pain of others, so numb to the evil in the world around us and so insensitive to the possibility that we know someone who is suffering deep inside due to something like this.

It might make a good joke to talk about how your mom was slipped a date rape drug one time when she was at a party. Sure. I mean, after all it did did a chuckle from the class when you said she was found walking in the middle of the street. But how on earth can you talk about something that could have been so devastating to your own mother with such a light hearted tone? Not even mentioning the fact that you didn't consider how you could be bringing up awful memories for someone in that group you were talking to.

Yet society has said that things like that are okay. They're okay to talk light heartedly about. They're okay to joke about because to most people it isn't real and will never be real.

It won't be real until it happens to them and that needs to change because even if it doesn't happen to you it is so very real for those that have suffered.