Innovation Vs. Time: A Plateau In The Graph

Our lack of creativity is dragging the economy downward.
31

As society has progressed, innovation has become more and more scarce, and innovators have become a rare breed that typically go unrecognized and underappreciated. More people are working in service industries than ever before, when what the world really needs is people with fresh ideas creating and inventing new industries to stimulate our shriveling economy- people like Elon Musk, one of today's most innovative businesses owners.

Mr. Elon Musk has not only reinvented one industry, but three. He has created the only private space company to ever return a spacecraft from Earth's orbit (SpaceX), he has changed the game for electric vehicles (Tesla), and he has greatly expanded the renewable energy industry by co-founding the #1 solar provider in America (SolarCity), but his ideas do not stop there. Elon's long-term goal for his businesses collectively is to change the world and humanity in a positive way by eliminating the threats of global warming through sustainability, and reducing the risk of human extinction by creating a "multi-planetary" society with a human colony on Mars. Elon Musk has created over 10,000 jobs through his multiple businesses and has put over 50,000 zero-emission, electric vehicles on the road. Many people have compared him to Steve Jobs, and for good reason. He wakes up every day and runs businesses that have the capability to improve millions of lives, while most of us can barely think beyond what we should eat for breakfast or how many episodes of "The Bachelor" we can binge watch in one day.

People like Mr. Musk were not always the rarity that they have become today. There was a time in our history when people like Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell walked the Earth, spreading their creativity. As time progressed, technology evolved consequently until we reached the stagnant innovative plateau where we currently reside. All of the low-hanging fruit on the tree of innovation has been delicately plucked by our forefathers, leaving behind the hard to reach fruit way up at the top, and very few people brave enough to reach for it.

It is my hope that our generation will be the one to spark a new wave of creativity and innovation throughout the world. I encourage everybody to look beyond the life that is right in front of them and see the bigger picture - to think, grow and create each and every day. We need more Elons in this world; we need more innovators. We need more people to be brave enough to reach for the highest fruit with the confidence that they will not fail and the ability to bounce back if they do