Find The Courage To Expand The Small Bubble That You Exist In, You'll Never Know What You Find

Find The Courage To Expand The Small Bubble That You Exist In, You Never Know What You'll Find

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" -Anais Nin. I found the courage to expand my world, and I think that you should, too.

269
https://unsplash.com/photos/9N-usDehIHY

We all have fears. Some of us are afraid of bugs, others are afraid of heights. Ever since I was young, I have always been afraid of being ordinary. The thought of being run of the mill frightens me like no other; so much so that I spend a large proportion of my time daydreaming about all the possible ways that I could expand my world and make my life extraordinary.

More often than not, we are taught to settle. We are taught since we are young that we should grow up, get married, have a family and a stable career, and settle down. I am not saying that this is a bad thing! However, for me, this thought has never satisfied me. I come from a small, suburban beach town that no one has ever heard of. We have the beach, we have a Publix, and we have a bowling alley and that is about it.

As you can imagine, my bubble of existence within this town is significantly small. There is so much of the world to explore beyond my home. Our world is so infinitely large, and what a privilege it is to be able to watch the sunrise from my home, but what a privilege it would be to watch the sunrise from all corners of this earth. To leave the barriers of my tiny bubble, and reach out into the unknown, beyond the confines of stability.

We settle because that is what we are taught to do. But, maybe we should teach people to be courageous. Maybe we should teach our students and our families and our friends to get out of their shell and go running in the direction of their wildest dreams. Do you want to travel? Do you want to feed the hungry? Do you want to find sustainable solutions to environmental problems? Do you want to become an editor for Vogue? Then, by all means, go do it! What is stopping you? The only way to expand your world is to cross over a bridge that was built by your own desire to get to where you want to be.

When we choose to settle, we are doing an injustice to ourselves. You and I alike deserve wonders. We all deserve to lead lives that are exciting and full of passion. If we choose anything otherwise, we are not truly living. Find what you are truly passionate about, and pursue it. Never settle for anything other than a life that is extraordinary.