Indians Are Headed To The World Series!!!

What a year to be a Cleveland sports fan!

6
Google

What a year it is to be Cleveland sports fan. First, the Cavaliers to reverse the curse with the first Cleveland sports championship since 1964, and now the Cleveland Indians are in the World Series. But it hasn’t been easy for the Indians.

From the beginning of the season to where they are now, the Indians have come a long way. Yes, the Indians had a record of 94-67 with clinching the American League Central, but it hasn’t been an easy road. Starting out the season two of the starting outfielders for the Indians were out Michael Brantley and Abraham Almonte. Rookie Tyler Naquin stepped up and made a difference at the plate and in the outfield to help out with a batting average of .296. Coming into post season the Indians starting pitchers Danny Salazar and Carlos Carrasco was out with Indians. Which only left Trevor Bauer, Josh Tomlin, and Corey Kluber as starters. Many people were worried about this. The Indians were against all odds to start the post-season as the predictions showed them getting swept by Boston in the ALDS.

The Indians started off post-season with a sweep of the Boston Red Soxs to clinch the American League Division, winning the first three games. The Indians then proceeded to the American League Championship Series (ALCS) against the Toronto Blue Jays. Starting the series some fans were concerned due to one of the starting pitchers Trevor Bauer cut his pitching pinky finger on a Drone. This made some roster changes in the pitching rotation for Cleveland, in hopes of Bauer being healed up to pitch Game 3. The Indians started the series off great with a 2-0 lead in Cleveland then headed to Game 3 in Toronto. Trevor Bauer starting Game 3 with stitches on his pinky finger. Bauer started out strong then halfway through the first inning his finger started gushing blood. Bauer tried to hide the blood by rubbing it on his jersey but there was only so much that could be done, so they forced him out of the game due to the bleeding.

The Indians bullpen was a little hectic, not expecting this to happen, but everyone stepped up and did their part the whole game. The pitchers especially stepped up and got the job done. The pitchers were Dan Ontero, Jeff Manship, Zach McAllister, Bryan Shaw, Cody Allen, and Andrew Miller stepping up for a win over the Blue Jays for a 3-0 lead in the ALCS.

The Indians fell short and lost to the Blue Jays Game 4, 5-1. On social media many of Cleveland fan accounts you saw many people freaking out or trying not to freak out because as Cleveland fans we all know a 3-1 lead is not enough after the Cavaliers took it from the Warriors in the NBA finals.

Leading up to Game 5 of the ALCS, there was a lot of worried fans about the Indians starting rookie pitcher Ryan Merritt, who was only making his second career start in the MLB and only 11-innings under his belt in the major leagues ever. Even though some fans were not happy Terry Francona and the Indians team had high hopes Merritt could get the job done. Jose Baustista for the Blue Jays even made a comment saying “Merritt will be 'shaking in his boots” but the Indians were not concerned Merritt would get the job done. Especially since the Indians offensive side has not been the strongest this series.

Starting Game 5 Francisco Lindor singled to left in the top of the first, where Mike Napoli doubled to deep left scoring Lindor giving the Indians a 1-0 to start out the game. Following home runs by Carlos Santana and Coco Crisp in the 3rd and 4th inning the Indians had the lead with 3-0. Merrit shut out the Blue Jays giving up only two hits in 5 innings for the Indians. Shaw, Miller, and Allen came in from the bullpen to close out the game. Nerves ran high at the bottom of the 9th with the Indians up 3-0, but Jose Bautista for the Blue Jays started the inning with a double to left-field, but Cody Allen came back strong striking out Donaldson and Encarnación, then with Tulowitzki flying out to first base.

The INDIANS CLINCH A SPOT IN THE WORLD SERIES WITH THE 3-0 WIN OVER THE BLUE JAYS!!!!

The Indians had high hopes for Merritt and they had every right to for shutting down the Blue Jays in 5-innings for the win. The Cleveland Indians twitter even had a comeback shot at Jose Bautista for the comment he made for Ryan Merritt starting the game, and also the comment Bautista made about "circumstances" at the plate earlier in the series.

The Cleveland Indians haven’t won the World Series since 1948 and haven’t been to the World Series since 1997 and will hold the World Series opener for the first time in franchise history Tuesday night. Stay tuned as Cleveland continues to make history and proving everyone wrong. Against all odds, we have made it this far. It is a great time to be a Cleveland sports fan. This is our year!