'Indiana Jones' And The Future Of A Franchise

"If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones."

62
https://archive.nerdist.com/indiana-jones-bottleneck-gallery-art-print/
Archive Nerdist

Cinema fans tend to be very vocal when it comes to reboots and remakes in Hollywood, which some feel executives should steer away from and focus on more original or book-based ideas instead of rehashing the same material. But "Indiana Jones" is that rare exception.

Indiana Jones is the perfect character for multiple films, as he is an archaeologist who has gone on many adventures over the years most of which were not shown in the original four films. "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "The Temple of Doom", "The Last Crusade", and even "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," to an extent, were great at having Indy explore different cultures and exotic lands in a way that felt different and gave each film its own distinct feel.

"Indiana Jones," as a concept, was inspired by classic action adventure film serials of the 1930s and 1940s that would essentially never end.

"Indiana Jones 5" (title to be announced) with Harrison Ford starring as the title character and Steven Spielberg returning as the director is a film that has been in development since the release of the critically panned "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", but it never gained immediate traction until recent years. Actor Shia Labeouf ("Transformers", "Even Stevens"), who portrayed Indy's long lost son Mutt in the film, was hinted to take on the title toward the end of "Crystal Skull" as sort of a passing of the torch, but the idea ultimately never panned out on film.

With the "Indiana Jones" franchise finding a new home at Disney, alongside its purchase of Indy co-creator George Lucas' Lucasfilm in 2012, it is likely that Disney will want to keep the brand going for as long as possible for a new generation of fans. As seen with Disney's other major franchises, such as "Star Wars" and "The Avengers", the brands Disney own tend to be long-form and find success the most with their sequels.

The "Indiana Jones" series is a dream for any writer or director, as Indy can go on almost any adventure or go after any kind of artifact, and it would make sense. The possibilities are endless and just allows a writer's imagination to run wild. Unfortunately, Harrison Ford is not getting any younger and the filmmakers would be limited with what Ford can do at his age (running away from boulders and hanging off trucks may be out).

Many fans have even suggested that a future "Indiana Jones" film could benefit from "The Godfather Part II" approach of hopping between time periods, where the present would see Ford's Indy dealing with a situation while the past setting would focus on a new actor as the archaeologist in his younger days who would then take on the mantle in future films (Chris Pratt is a fan favorite choice).

There are obviously many young/middle-aged talented actors waiting in the wings to take on the hat and whip, but it will be an adjustment for longtime fans.

"Indiana Jones" is a franchise that has remained with one actor in Ford since 1981, while other film franchises such as "James Bond", "Batman", and "Spider-Man" have become famous for switching out actors every few years. The "Indiana Jones" franchise is one of the most successful film franchises to date and still has a lot more gas left in its tank. Ford's tenure as the iconic character may be coming to an end sooner than later, but the world-famous archaeologist still has many more adventures to go on.