Only Child Taught Independence

I'm An Only Child And It Taught Me To Be Independent

I never had a little sister to borrow my clothes, or a little brother to pick on me. I had myself, and I'm one hundred percent okay with that.

154

The most asked question I get about being an only child? "Don't you ever get lonely?"

The answer? Yeah, sometimes. Don't we all, though? I mean, I feel the same emotions anyone else with siblings would have. I get lonely, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being an only child.

Weirdly enough, I like being alone. I thrive being alone. It's one of my top favorite things. I like doing things alone. I prefer shopping alone, and even getting food for myself. I especially don't mind going to the bathroom by myself. I find it weird when girls go to the bathroom in herds. Like, do you need me to help you wipe, too?

I'm almost thankful to be an only child.

I think it'd be weird if I did have siblings. I don't think I'd be as independent as I am right now. Like I said, I love being alone, and the idea of having to share everything growing up — food, clothes, my own parents! *Shivers.* No, thank you.

Plus, I grew up pretty fast because of it. That, and the fact that my parents were always working while I was growing up.

Point is: being an only child taught me an extremely valuable life lesson. I learned how to be my own person. I didn't depend on an older sister to give me guy advice — I had girlfriends for that. I never had an older brother to kick guys' butts for me — I have guy friends for that (and my boyfriend). I never had a little sister to borrow my clothes, or a little brother to pick on me. I had myself, and I'm one hundred percent okay with that.

Being independent doesn't necessarily mean I'm lonely and alone all the time. I have my family, friends, and boyfriend. I'm happy, and that's all that really matters.