9 Ways To Feel Better About Your Day

9 Ways To Feel Better About Your Day

When nothing seems to be going your way, here are some tips so you can still call your day a good one!

144
9 Ways To Feel Better About Your Day
Tory Morrison

In college, it is all too easy to go about your class and work schedule only to come home feeling like you didn't accomplish anything. You've been working since 8 a.m., but somehow your list of assignments and responsibilities hasn't gotten any shorter. It can be so self-defeating when you feel like you didn't accomplish enough. Here are some helpful ways that I've found help me feel better about my long days:

1. Make your bed every morning.

This may seem like an obvious one, but making your bed will help you to get up and start your day right. Once you’ve made your bed, you have already accomplished the first task of the day! Who knows how the rest of your day is going to go, but nothing, and I mean nothing, beats being able to come home to a freshly made bed and eating a face-full of pillow.

2. When you make to-do lists, break things up into smaller tasks.

A lot of times when I make a daily to-do list, for the sake of saving time or space, I will lump up tasks. For example, I might write down “clean apartment.” What that really means though is clean your room, your closet, the bathroom, the kitchen, and the living room. Say I only manage to clean up my room and closet. Well, now I can’t cross off “clean apartment”, because there are still other rooms I need to clean.

If you take the time to write out each of these tasks, you won’t feel so defeated at the end of the day when you can cross off a couple of things on your list and reflect on the hard work you've done. Even something as small as cleaning your room can be broken down into simpler and more manageable tasks. You can start with picking up your clothes off the floor, decluttering your desk, and making your bed.

3. Remember that you always have the opportunity to turn your day around.

So you started off feeling motivated and accomplished after making your bed, but then you walked out the door, right? Don’t worry! You can still feel accomplished when life throws you a curveball. Whether you forgot your lunch or a freak storm came out of nowhere — you can still turn the day around! Try to be flexible with your schedule and plans. Life happens, and if you try to stay too rigid, it’s going to break you. So just take a deep breath, and consider buying an umbrella.

4. Do a mental check-in and relax your muscles.

I am so guilty of this. We don’t realize it, but as we go about our day—especially if it’s been a stressful one—we tend to tense up our muscles, which can lead to us feeling fatigued and tired at the end of the day. The easiest way to combat this is to mentally check-in with yourself, take a few slow deep breaths, think about why you are so tense, and try to relax your shoulders.

5. For a long-term way to feel more accomplished, consider getting a houseplant.

You don't need a houseplant to feel accomplished, but it can be very rewarding. Watching a small plant grow and flourish over time is a great way to feel a little pride in yourself. And if you think you're botanically-challenged, you can always get a low-maintenance cactus!

6. Try bullet journaling.

I love bullet journaling. If you aren’t familiar with the concept, it is a customizable planner—essentially a blank notebook that you use to track your events and tasks, your successes, your habits, your mood, and anything else you can think of that you want! Tracking the activities you do on a weekly and monthly basis can help contextualize how much you have really accomplished over time and how much each day matters!

7. Go to the gym.

This should be an obvious one. Even if you don’t reach a new personal record on the treadmill or the free weights, exercising makes you feel great. Have you ever heard of runner's high? Try a new dance class or anything that gets you moving that can increase your motivation. At the very least, you can feel great about yourself knowing that you had the self-discipline to get up and get out there.

8. Try a new recipe.

Learning a new skill is a great way to feel accomplished! Try making a new recipe for dinner or even a dessert. You’ve had a long day and deserve to eat a hearty meal. Try something new and conquer! If it doesn’t turn out, then there’s always Chinese takeout--and that always makes my day better.

9. At the end of the day, if things didn’t go well, remember that tomorrow has the potential to be better and now you can fall asleep in your freshly made bed.

Even if you're still feeling like you didn't do enough, try to show yourself some compassion. Recognize that you met the day's challenges and that you handled it as best as you could. You can always try again tomorrow.