Let's Get This Party Started

Let's Get This Party Started

The pomp and circumstance of this auspicious occasion were never over-shadowed by the razor wiring and emptiness of the streets at Washington Mall for the event.

31
Let's Get This Party Started

January 20, 2021, is marked as a day of historical importance. The inauguration of our 46th President, Joseph R Biden, Jr., as well as the inauguration of our first female Vice President, Kamala D. Harris, gave the day its place in history. The morning started with apprehension and nervousness. Will the tenants in the White House leave quietly and with dignity? Will there be violence and disruption in the streets as reported by most news media? Either way, many Americans were tuned in and pacing the floor in excitement and anticipation.

The pomp and circumstance of this auspicious occasion were never over-shadowed by the razor wiring and emptiness of the streets at Washington Mall for the event. Seeing the past presidents and their wives arrive on the bandstand with flare and confidence gave me a sense of assurance that danger was not looming in the background.

I was in awe when I heard Lady Gaga sing the national anthem. Her performance was one in a million. However, my favorite part of the day except for Kamala taking the oath, was the National Youth Poet Laureate, Amanda Gorman. This beautiful young woman's poem, "The Hill We Climb," was recited with courage and confidence. It sent chills down the spine of every person listening. And I suggest if you haven't heard, go and listen to it at https://youtu.be/_U6IKviDWFs. I was inspired by her ability to capture the country, tell of its struggles and still see the beauty that is this United States of America.

The highlight of the day for me was the moment Kamala stood up and put her hand on the Bible to take the oath. The country for all of its discourse, angst, and aggression is now entering into the time of the matriarchy. The patriarchal forces that have influenced our lives have lost their foothold on the global stage.

As a feminist, I am thrilled for her accomplishments and know that this is just the beginning for Kamala. Madam Vice President Harris is carving the way for all young women from all aspects of our spectrum. It might seem to some that this is another step that will be stopped in the next election because of our history of not learning from our past.

However, women do not easily forget or give up their seat at the table. The time has come for this country to embrace change. Women have been an important part of politics for decades, yet many can easily dismiss it. The word feminism puts fear in some people. But I am here to tell you, everyone is a feminist if you believe all sexes have a voice in the world. You are however not a feminist if you put limitations on anyone's success.

Case in point, as I was applauding Kamala's oath on my Facebook, I commented that we have arrived. Only to have a man tell me that she didn't make it to the top. So, in his eyes, we did not arrive yet. Still, one more step to take. I call that a false equivalent and shamed him for bursting my bubble for his ego.

It isn't about getting to the top it is about breaking that glass ceiling and letting the naysayers sweep up the shards. Time is on our side now ladies. Teach your sons and daughters to embrace everyone's accomplishments and stop comparing them.