In Search of A Perfect Date

In Search of A Perfect Date

18
In Search of A Perfect Date

Being an old-fashioned Southern sorority girl, I have high expectations when it comes to first dates, romance and relationships. It makes it hard to date during the age of cell phones and fast food with any dignity. There are seven major things I would like to see both men and women start to implement into their dating lives.

1.     Get off of your phones. There is not one single thing that irks me more when I’m on a date than a guy on his phone because he either doesn’t have enough sense to create conversation or genuinely doesn’t care enough to get to know me. Ladies, this goes to you as well. You’re just as guilty. Your Groupme, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc. can wait until you are back home.

2.     Voicing values. Early on in the relationship I think it is vital that each person say what is near and dear to him or her. If your values don’t match up, the relationship is doomed to fail.

3.     Labeling. There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling it a date instead of hanging out. You’re not talking. You’re either using each other or dating. One is platonic, and the other is going somewhere meaningful.

4.     Talking about things in person. Half of the things you text could be taken a different way because the other person can’t see your expressions or hear the inflections in your voice. You also wouldn’t say half the things you do through text, in person.

5.     Opening the door and saying, "Thank you." Car doors too. Ladies, be genuinely grateful he is thinking of you and putting forth the extra effort to do for you and give him time to come around before you just hop out. Nine times out of ten if you don’t get out right away, he will get the hint and open it.

6.     Asking. After the first date, if it went well, ask her when you get to see her again, gentlemen! This eliminates any confusion, and if she’s not willing, then you saved yourself some time energy and embarrassment by waiting and texting about it.

7.     Gestures of affection. When I’m on a date, I want the whole restaurant (or wherever we are) to know it. After a couple dates I am a sucker for the handhold, a guiding hand on the small of the back, or oh my goodness, the arm link. You aren’t groping or making others feel uncomfortable, but when a man stakes his claim and lets everyone know he’s proud to be with the woman he’s with, it means more than they know.