A Look Back At FreshmanYear

A Look Back At FreshmanYear

A lot has happened this past year.

6
Rosie Chandler Smith

Recently, I took a break from writing articles to finish off my first year of college (and to pack and unpack, a huge undertaking in itself). Between pulling a week of all-nighters, preparing to go home, and finally getting done settling back in to home life, I've had a lot of time to look back on the past year. And boy, did I have a lot to reflect on.

Before I left for my first semester, I wrote about how I wasn't ready to go to college just yet, and I suppose I wasn't at the time. But it was almost startling how quickly I became accustomed to college life, and how many friends I made over my first semester. The classes were hard, of course, and finals were the worst, but I flew through my first semester with a new group of friends, a production under my belt, and a lot of plans for the second semester.

And then the second semester came. The weather got cold and grey, the classes got more challenging, and I became a part of three productions. I want to assure you, I had no regrets. If I could've changed anything about last semester, I don't think I would. But I did slip. I wasn't my best self for a while; between the weight of all the shows (which went very well, thanks to everyone involved), all the schoolwork, and all of the washers and dryers malfunctioning halfway through the semester, it was almost too much.

I'm lucky that I had been overpacking my schedule since freshman year of high school, because I was able to manage and pull through with a 2.9 GPA, but it wasn't easy. Let this article act as both another thank you to my friends, and as an apology; thank you for being there and helping me this year, and I'm sorry for being distant and moody. I can blame the weather, but I know it ends with me. In the future, I will try harder to be better to you.

For all the rough patches I had these past nine months, especially toward the end, I sincerely feel that Purchase is a second home for me. Even though the living spaces aren't that great, and neither is the food, I can't imagine being anywhere else. The memories I've made here would be very hard to come by anywhere else; yelling at each other about Christopher Walken at Improv Club, making jokes about "Frogman" at Stand Up Comedy Club, and last minute Jewish weddings in dorm hallways. Most importantly, I have a better understanding of who I am then I ever have before. I could only get that here.

To all my friends, new and old, have a great summer. I hope that you're just as happy with Purchase as I am, and if you're not, I hope you find what's right for you. I hope you come back with a clear mind and a new dedication to getting the most out of your time at college. To everyone who graduated, the world better watch out for you. I know you're going to do great things, and I hope you don't forget us.

I'm very much looking forward to making more memories as I continue my higher education here. I'll have a whole summer to regroup and say goodbye again. But this time, I'll be ready.

Two semesters down, six more to go.