In Honor of the 2017 Time Person of the Year
Politics

The silence has been broken, but the next step is to break it into smaller pieces.

37

We all heard those damning words on that Access Hollywood tape:

I moved on her, actually. I moved on her, and I failed. I'll admit it. I did try and fuck her. She was married...I moved on her very heavily...I moved on her like a bitch. But I couldn't get there. And she was married. … You know, I'm automatically attracted to beautiful--I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything...Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything.”

When we all heard those words, we were all outraged, but it gave us a sense that Donald Trump would not become president after this. Unfortunately, we were wrong. It is these candid conversations from powerful people like Trump that manifest a culture where women are shamed into silence and countless instances of sexual harassment and assault go unnoticed. But it was not until recently where we have seen the silence finally be broken, with the power of the #MeToo movement.

The worldwide phenomenon has led to swift consequences for many powerful people, from people in Hollywood like Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey and in journalism like Charlie Rose and Matt Lauer. It has even led to the exposure of predators in Washington, such as Senator Al Franken and Congressman John Conyers. Of course, as anyone who has seen this phenomenon grow knows, the list of people who have been held accountable for their crude behavior is much larger. The magnitude of the #MeToo movement has finally brought about the ultimate solution for exposing sexual predators, and that solution is breaking the silence.

And those who started, and continue to maintain, this much-needed conversation about sexual harassment have been honored as Time magazine’s Person of the Year for 2017.

Time’s decision to give their annual cover to those who broke the silence will forever be a symbol that the days where women are complicit in their own trauma and have to fear retaliation from their predators are near, if not already gone. This social revolution is ending a silence that has kept many people in power for so long. Politicians, journalists, celebrities, and many others are seeing the consequences they had truly deserved however long ago they decided to deprive their victims of their sanity.

Because of the #MeToo movement and those who continue to lead the dialogue for sexual harassment, we now have a broader light as to how subtle misconduct can occur. As Time writes:

“The women and men who have broken their silence span all races, all income classes, all occupations and virtually all corners of the globe. They might labor in California fields, or behind the front desk at New York City's regal Plaza Hotel, or in the European Parliament. They're part of a movement that has no formal name. But now they have a voice.”

This cultural phenomenon has forever changed the landscape as to how we finally end yet another social stigma that women deal with on a daily basis. Now, I am well aware that a magazine cover won’t stop a pedophile from potentially becoming a U.S. Senator for Alabama, nor will it eradicate sexual misconduct once and for all. But the most important takeaway from the #MeToo movement is that it has become a conversation starter and a game plan for how we can teach future generations on how to use your voice when the moment requires it.

And because of that, I think that Time’s pick for Person of the Year this year is the most appropriate one for this year. The sweet feeling of justice is on the horizon.