I Am Impulsive And Proud

Through the years, I have to come to realize that I am truly an impulsive person. Being impulsive has caused me some trouble in the past (especially when it comes to my wallet) but it also has opened up a lot of opportunities to live the life I want to live.

I first started to notice my impulsive personality as I made the decision to dye my hair for the first time. I was going through a tough time in my life and I decided I needed a change. I went with my dad to the store and found a red box dye that he said would look cool. That night my mom helped me put the dye, that was pretty much the color of blood, in my hair. I washed it out and looked in the mirror as my brown hair had turned into a reddish purple color and I felt like a new person. That damn box dye stained my hair for ages and I think I just now got the dye out of my hair, but I needed to make that change. I needed to make that mistake because through that red box dye I began to find myself.

A couple years later, my impulses pointed me toward a new adventure - piercings. I got my cartilage pierced and most recently decided to get my ears double pierced. Both of these decisions were last minute, not planned and definitely impulsive. Yet again, these were small changes that I needed to make for myself at the time.

I could continue to name examples of times that I was impulsive and made physical changes to myself or my life, but these impulsive decisions have allowed me to explore who I am and to live my life spontaneously at times. I would not necessarily consider myself a spontaneous person as I like order and a plan to my life, but those little impulsive day to day decisions can add that missing spontaneity needed to force me out of my comfort zone and to try new things. My impulses have also served sometimes as a coping mechanism which some may consider unhealthy to which I have to say that I could have a lot worse of coping mechanisms than changing my hair or my makeup etc. Being impulsive can be dangerous I have found as sometimes it can be taken too far and must be kept in check in some regards.

Yes, being impulsive can create some issues in my life as I love to shop and can tend to spend money frivolously if not controlled. It has also created some major hair fails and some physical pain, but I have no regrets with any of it. Embracing this aspect of myself has allowed me to explore who I am and I would honestly say that these impulsive experiences have opened my eyes when it comes to things happening in my life. I would say that I do not deal with change, but these small little changes for myself seem to make everything easier.