Importance of Writing Things Down on Paper
Lifestyles

The Importance of writing tasks to stay focused.

48

Our smartphones, laptops and other digital devices are extremely empowering tools. Now, more so than ever before, our lives are dominated by digital devices. So much so in fact, that many people have stopped writing things down on paper altogether. But is this a good thing?

There are many advantages to writing things down that digital technologies don't currently possess. Writing things down: helps you remember things better, clarifies your thoughts, and helps you work more effectively.

Let's look at this in more detail.

1. Writing Things Down Helps Clear Your Mind

Most people have a myriad of things to remember each day. When there are too many things to remember it produces anxiety. In fact, we 'loop' the information in our minds to make sure we don't forget. We're just wired that way, due to evolutionary past. So, do yourself a favor and write it all down.

Writing things down allows you to 'off load' these things onto the paper, releasing mental RAM-space in the process. You'll feel more relaxed and focused as a result, which will not only improve not only your health but also your productivity.

2. Writing Things Down Helps You Prioritize Your Goals More Effectively

At the beginning of the workday, take the time to write down your priorities and goals, A simple notebook, such as these from TOAD Diaries, will work well.you'll be better placed to achieve them if you do. Having this written out in front of you will force you to evaluate things in a different way than simply having them in mind. You can see which are best to prioritize, and which should be deferred for later.

Ask the question: What is measurable and achievable today? If some of your goals are too vague, such as 'build a new website', this question will help you identify them.

When this happens, break it down into smaller, more actionable, sub-tasks. This will help you focus on your priorities, rather than the vague (and probably idealistic) task of building a new website from scratch.

3. Writing Things Down Helps 'Wake Up' Your Brain

We've all been there. Starting work at 9 am, ready to get through the important tasks of the day. Unfortunately, our blurry eyes also make for blurry, unproductive brains.

A coffee, of course, is essential at this time of day. But, so too, should be writing down your tasks for the day ahead. The stress of trying to remember and prioritize your tasks for the day can be offloaded onto the paper. This will get your brain working, and ready to get through the work ahead of you.

4. You Remember Things Better When They Are Written Down

This is something that has been studied at length by neurosciences. And it's particularly useful in meetings or lectures.

When we listen to someone there is a specific part of the brain processing the listening and understanding. However, when we take notes, we engage a different part of the brain which helps us helps link the verbal information to the act of writing. This leads to a better recall of information as demonstrated in this study. It turns out the pen is mightier than the sword after all.

5. It Helps Bring Out Creativity In The Individual

Another interesting fact about writing things down pertains to creativity. Studies have been conducted that have compared the performance of two groups of children. The two groups were asked to write a composition utilizing different tools: The first, with pen and paper, and the second, on a computer. In the conclusion of the study it was clear that the group writing by hand used more original words and developed more intricate and creative storytelling.

Digital tools are amazing resources, no one can deny that. However, they cannot substitute the unique advantages that pen and paper currently offers us. Keep a paper notebook handy, and you'll be well placed to take advantage of the best of both worlds.

Making use of writing things down on paper, as well as the efficiency and automation in digital tools, you'll be in the best position to be productive, creative and get through the day's work with ease.