The Importance of Sunscreen to Your Baby

The Importance of Sunscreen For Your Baby and the Best Time to Wear It

The baby's skin is very delicate and sensitive, so it needs to be protected against ailments like cancer.

26

Having a baby is a big blessing and it normally comes with a lot of responsibilities. You'll start thinking of the best food for your baby, the best clothing, the best toys, the best school to attend and more. While thinking of the best wears, one of the things to consider is a sunscreen, you'll need to find an organic sunscreen for the baby if you really want the best for him or her.

The baby's skin is very delicate and sensitive, so it needs to be protected against ailments like cancer. The skin is the largest organ in the human body and taking proper care of it makes is one of the factors of having a healthy lifestyle.

This reveals the importance of protecting the child against harmful rays of the sun. This can be achieved by purchasing a good sunscreen for your baby and outing it on the baby at the appropriate time.

Getting a good sunscreen for your baby is not as easy as going to the grocery to order for a jar of Blue Band butter, this is because of the different and unlimited varieties available in the market today. You'll be mandated to get a very good, safe and reliable sunscreen for your baby.

Tips for Getting the Best out Of Then Sunscreen

• Rub don't spray: According to a research carried out by the International Agency for Research on Carcinogens, spraying the sunscreen increases the risks of the inhalation of titanium dioxide by your kid. Also, rubbing it will make you to utilize only the required quantity on the baby.
  • Check the chemicals: Does it contain oxybenzone? Then it's not the best choice for your kid. You should read the labels before buying.
  • Oil-free sunscreen is best: Next time you go shopping, choose the sunscreen that is oil-free because it can make break-outs worst.
  • Be broad: Always opt for the sunscreen that will give you protection against UVB rays and UVA rays. Both of them have potentials of causing cancer.
  • Go for the physical sunscreens: Are you surprised? Don't be. There are two types of sunscreens available in the market, the physical and the chemical sunscreen. The physical sunscreens reflects UV rays by using zinc oxide or titanium dioxide while the chemical sunscreens absorbs UV rays by using oxybenzone and other similar ingredients. Like we said earlier, oxybenzone is not safe for your skin and should be avoided. Oxybenzone is being rated by EWG as 8 in their toxity rate.

When is the best Time for Your Baby to Wear Sunscreens?

As a mother, you always want the best for your baby. However in getting the best, it is also advisable to get them at the right time. According to medical research, children above six months of age can use sunscreens without any complications. Younger kids should use other forms of protection other than the sunscreen to guide themselves against the rays of the sun.

However, children above six months can be protected against the sun's rays by using sunscreens and it won't be detrimental or disastrous.

In addition, avoid allowing your baby to be exposed to the sun's rays during the peak hours. This is usually from 10 in the morning to 2 in the afternoon. During this period, the sun is usually in an extreme stage and it's usually very hot.

In all, try your best to make sure your baby doesn't get over-heated.

While selecting the best sunscreen for your wards, select one that is broad-spectrum and has an SPF of at least 15.
Apply it on the baby's skin generously and re-apply every 120 minutes (2 hours). You can also decrease the time if the baby sweats a lot or spends time playing in the waters.

Use sunscreens that contains titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to avoid complications like irritation from happening to your baby.

In the case of younger children, you can protect them from the sun's rays by dressing them up properly. A perfect dressing would be a hat, a brim and sunglasses, you'll kid will look smart, attractive and also be protected from the sun.