The Importance Of The Newfound Democratic Momentum

Now, onward from 2016, it is time for Democrats to take back their control of the legislative branch.

46
Wikimedia

In the 2010 midterm elections, Republicans took control of the U.S. House of Representatives, taking them from being the minority (180 seats) to a majority (239 seats), a swing of almost 60 seats. Similarly, Republicans took control of the U.S. Senate in 2012. These two elections led to the disastrous GOP Legislature that we have seen for the last four years, and they serve as examples of why we must take every single election seriously.

When Dems controlled congress, a miraculous thing happened called the Affordable Care Act, and, had Democrats not lost control of the legislative branch, there would be Supreme Court Justice Merrick Garland instead of Justice Neil Gorsuch. If Democrats hold ensuring that all Americans have access to affordable healthcare and protecting the rights of all citizens close, they must continue

In the midst of overcoming white nationalism and blocking the Trump agenda, it is essential that Democrats mobilize in all local, state, and national elections. What we saw on Nov. 7th was amazing, and Democrats must continue with that momentum.

If Dems can keep this blue wave going, it is very likely that they can take back the U.S. House of Representatives in 2018 and possibly take back the Senate by 2020. If the election of Ralph Northam as Virginia’s next governor illustrates anything, it is that the racist and divisive tactics that Trump-Republicans have taken on as their strategy will not win. In other words, Love Trumps Hate.

Besides overcoming the racist tactics of Trump lackeys and protecting healthcare, marriage equality, the environment, voting rights, etc., it is also essential for Democrats to take back state legislatures to reverse the effects of decade-long Republican gerrymandering that has led to the GOP being a supermajority party. If Democrats can win even if largely rigged districts, then the impossible becomes possible.

Here is how Democrats can continue and grow the momentum that they are seeing:

• Democrats must charter as many voter registration drives as possible, specifically in areas where many residents are more likely to be discouraged from voting – these areas are typically minority-dense areas.
  • Adding on to the last bullet, Democrats must come out in droves to vote all over the country. They must make sure every person is aware that their vote matters. For example, Mary Parham-Copelan, Milledgeville Georgia’s newest and first black mayor, won by only 6 votes.
  • Democrats must support Jason Kander’s Let America Vote and expand voter rights/protections.
  • Democrats must not follow the idea of dropping “identity politics”. If anything was learned on November 7th, it’s that our diversity makes us stronger, and we must embrace that. Danica Roem, Virginia’s first transgender elected official, took the seat of Robert Marshall. Marshall introduced the infamous transgender bathroom bill, Sheila Oliver became New Jersey’s first black female lt. governor, Tavinder Bhalla became the first Sikh Mayor of Hoboken, New Jersey, and Jenny Durkan was elected the first lesbian mayor of Seattle. These are all examples of how Democrats can use their diverse backgrounds as keys to winning elections rather than sticking to the monotonous white, straight, male candidate.