Unpopular Opinion Of College Students But Taking General Classes Are Important

Most college students complain about wasting their time and money by taking so many intro and general classes, but after completing my first year I have an entirely new perspective.

70

Don't get me wrong, I began my freshmen year bummed that I was enrolled in all these classes I held no interest in and I felt like it was all so pointless. I finished my first semester and I ended up really enjoying the classes I thought I was going to hate and found myself struggling in the one class I chose for myself. I came into college thinking I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my academic and professional career, but after completing my first few months, I was left undecided.

The uncertainty scared me and made going back to school after my long winter break even more intimating. Thankfully, I had very supportive friends and family who gave me the motivation to return to school for second semester with an open mind. Again, I was enrolled in a list of classes I was unfamiliar and uninterested in. As I got settled into my second semester and new schedule of classes, it suddenly hit me that the classes I was taking were vital to my future.

I may not have been interested in Asian History or Astronomy, but at least now I can rule those possibilities out of my future. By being exposed and at least touching on the general side of all these different subjects, I was able to find out what I do and don't like. By attending a four year university and having general education requirements, I was forced to step out of my comfort zone and explore subjects I never would have taken on my own.

I consider myself fortunate that I was able to find my passion in one of the random classes that my adviser recommended I take to fulfill some of my requirements. I had never even heard of the course before, let alone what it was about and what I was going to be doing in class, but I gave it a chance and it's now my major. Without the general education requirements my university has, I may have never found my major and where I belong in the real world.

I am already looking forward to returning to school to continue my studies in my newfound academic love and I have all the thanks to give to those pointless, waste of time and money general classes. Even though they don't seem all that important to your future, they just might determine it. As you take your general courses, keep an open mind and pay attention or you might miss your perfect fit.