The Importance Of Agreeing To Disagree

The Importance Of Agreeing To Disagree

The right way to handle yourself is to be polite, mindful, and considerate.

131
The Importance Of Agreeing To Disagree
unsplash.com

Agreeing to disagree is making the mature decision to accept someone else's differing views/opinions and acknowledging that it is okay that they do not align with your own.

Over the years, especially throughout college, I have witnessed just how unhealthy it is to not even try to see where the other person is coming from in terms of opinions. For example, in many of my political science classes, students would get into heated debates over various issues and sometimes it would get out of hand. Rather than being mature adults, they would resort to name-calling, foul language, and extreme stubbornness: three ways to dirty up any debate.

Now, I love a good debate. I want to work in politics one day for crying out loud. I love hearing what other people think and believe and having the opportunity to share my own in response. But what I won't tolerate is immature, sometimes verbally violent behavior during such debates and arguments.

There have been many times where I would talk with someone about an issue and realize that we're on very different pages. Instead of getting all mad and demanding that they see how "wrong" they are, I just listen to their side and state mine and move into a discussion about why we both feel the way we do. And guess what? Neither of us end up getting angry with each other (shocker).

Now, agreeing to disagree online is a totally different situation. Agreeing to disagree in person is one thing, and can be easier as you can see facial expressions and hear voice inflictions of the opposing person, allowing you to understand them better. It also is much more private. Online, the world is watching and what you say doesn't just disappear as if you had physically said it. It's written there forever, even if you delete it.

People tend to feel more confident and powerful behind their computer screens, and thus feel they can say whatever they want in response to certain posts, which definitely can backfire. Many people, therefore, refuse to agree to disagree when it comes to online banter.

I have both witnessed and been involved in arguments and debates over issues that take place online (via Facebook). Sometimes I like to share political posts and comment on such posts of others.

I want to take this time to applaud those who actually can handle themselves online and comment their opinions in mature ways because that right there is a sign of intelligence, open-mindedness, and respect: the keys to a successful debate/discussion. Arguing about issues and opinions, if done professionally, is very healthy. It is also a sign of respect for other's views and an acknowledgment that people can think and feel differently from you.

However, what disgusts and revolts me are the toxic comments I see most of the time.

Let me make myself clear: under no circumstances is it ever okay, in person or online, to verbally abuse someone else for their opinions. It is not acceptable to call someone derogatory names or say crude and rude things to them in response. It is also very unwise to state an uneducated opinion out of pure anger. Yes, others’ opinions can piss you off, but that doesn't mean you have the right to go off on them.

It actually, in turn, makes you look like a fool and a downright asshole.

Even worse is if you make such a comment on someone else's post, as it will also make the original poster look bad. Say someone got offended by your nasty comment, or in extreme circumstances, considered it harassment. They have the right to report that comment and even the original poster’s entire post, which could possibly lead to serious legal implications for all parties involved.

And for what? So you can shove your uneducated statement down someone else's throat? Is it really worth being mean and nasty to prove your point? How does writing or saying something cruel to someone else just because you don't agree make you right?

And don't make the excuse that it's your "1st Amendment right," to say and write whatever you want. I believe this amendment has been abused, but that's another discussion for another day.

Please, take 10 seconds and really think before you either post or comment.

Educated, mature comments only, please.