I'm Worried About Bees

I'm Worried About Bees

#BringBacktheBees

6

Think climate change is a left-wing extremist hoax? Think again. The proof is in the … well, honeybee. Global warming and the use of harmful pesticides, among other man-made assailants against nature, have been wiping out the United States’ and Europe’s bee populations for years. One might think this is a good thing — no more bee stings! — but it is, in reality, a very bad thing. Here are the answers to some pretty common questions:

What exactly is happening to the bees?

Scientists have known that bees are dying at rapid rates for years. Some studies show that bees are dying at a rate of up to 30 percent of the population per year. This mass decline in bee populations is due to a number of factors: increased use of pesticides, lack of nutrition, parasites and pathogens, and yes, global warming. Many of the reasons bees are dying out are caused by humans. Some factors are natural, but it is clear that humans have had an adverse effect on bee populations.

Pesticides is one of the biggest reasons bees are dying, and one of the most obviously human-caused issues. Though some countries in Europe have begun to outlaw the most harmful of pesticides, the United States has not followed suit. Studies show that a specific kind of pesticide — called neonics —harm bees. Neonics are pesticides which are applied to seeds and thus grow with the plant, rather than being sprayed on the plant after it has grown. Neonics have proven to scramble bees’ sense of direction, as well as make bees susceptible to environmental issues to which they should be impervious.

Along with the use of pesticides, many farms now only grow one kind of produce in an area. Nearby bees may only have access to that specific kind of produce, and without more variation, they do not get the nutrition they need. Besides one-crop farming, habitat damage has also hurt bees. Less wildflowers and less places to live mean the bees are not getting what they need. Global warming has also significantly lessened the area in which bees live. The plants typically pollinated by bees are beginning to grow in more northern regions than ever before, due to increasing temperatures. The bee populations are not following the plants, though, and have thus died. Humans are the main cause of the decline in bee populations, but we are not the only cause.

Just as animals like horses, mice, and cats and dogs can be affected by mites, bees can as well. One particularly kind of parasite, called the varroa mite, can cause irreparable damage to bee colonies. They suck the blood from bees, leaving open wounds and causing shorter life spans. In order to rid a colony of mites, the bees must undergo a process similar to a human eradicating cancer; it is both harmful and painful for the bees. Parasites are the primary natural cause of the decimation of bee populations.

Why should I care?

Bees are integral to not only human society, but the way our planet works as a whole. One-third of the food we eat is only available to us because of bees. Over 400 different kinds of plants edible by humans require pollination from bees or other insects to flourish. Without bees, our diets would be drastically different; we would have very limited choices for food, and the food we could eat would be bland. No one wants that.

In addition to a limited human food source, many species of animals would potentially die off if bees went extinct. Bees are an important part of fragile ecosystems around the world. Bees pollinate plants, little animals eat those plants, bigger animals eat those little animals, and so on. If all bees were to die out, it would cause a chain reaction in ecosystems around the planet. Animals and humans alike would lose their food sources, and unless some sort of substitution could be found, most of life on earth would cease to exist.

Not only do humans reap the benefits of pollination, but we also benefit from honey, beeswax, and other products created by our winged friends. There are thousands of brands of honey, many of which have health benefits, and most of which taste great. Though not essential for human life, not having honey would be a bummer. Beeswax, conversely, is pretty important to a lot of people. Beeswax can be found in cosmetics — like lip balms, lipsticks, foundations, and eyeshadows — as well as some kinds of food.

Furthermore, because the extinction of bees could potentially end life on earth, the decline of bee populations have already damaged world economies. In the United States alone, $2 billion has been lost due to destroyed bee colonies. If a plea for tasty food or animal life does not sway you, hopefully the fear of a collapsing economy will.

What is being done? How can I help?

Time for some good news! As previously mentioned, some countries in Europe have outlawed particularly dangerous kinds of pesticides. Pharmaceutical company Bayer has recently decided to re-evaluate studies demonstrating the harmful nature of common pesticides; they have released statements agreeing to work with the EPA on proposing extra protections for bees. Besides big-name companies, though, non-profit organizations have also taken an interest in protecting our sweet bees.

The Pollinator Partnership is the largest nonprofit organization in the world solely dedicated to saving bees and other pollinators. They provide planting guides and educational programs to any interested parties, as well as run a learning center and provide volunteer opportunities. Their mission statement is: “to promote the health of pollinators, critical to food and ecosystems, through conservation, education, and research." The Pollinator Partnership also has an app, books, brochures, posters, and a school garden kit! Their programs have already demonstrated to help bee and butterfly populations around the world.

There are so many ways you, as an individual, can help bring the bees back! One way to do so is to spruce up your garden with bee-friendly plants, like Bleeding Hearts, Goat’s Beard, Jacob’s Ladder, Scorpionweed, Spiderwort, Milkweed, Wild Sage, among others. Find a complete list of suitable flowers here. If you do not already have a garden, start one! Think about starting a community garden and get your neighbors in on the fun. Ask your local school districts and local parks to start their own bee-friendly garden.

If you do not have the time for that, or if getting dirty is not something you enjoy, consider buying some products which support bees. Some brands, like Burt’s Bees have begun campaigns to #BringBacktheBees. For every purchase of a limited edition lip balm, or every special tweet, Burt’s Bees will plant 1,000 wildflowers. All you have to do is exclude any ‘b’s from your tweet and use #BringBacktheBees, and you will have done your part to save our planet. It is easy!

Buy local produce created by people who support bees and practice safe beekeeping. Buy honey from a local beekeeper, rather than the grocery store. Buy food from nearby farms, which do not use pesticides proven to hurt bees. This is a more expensive option, but it will certainly make a difference not only in the bee population, but also in your local economy. Support the bees, and support your community!