I'm Tired Of Talking About Political Correctness

What's the deal with all these new rules infringing on the right to have privilege?

13
unsplash.com

All righty folks. I don't know about you but I am just tired of hearing all this darn talk about political correctness. So often I hear people say that they are really tired of "political correctness" and that they are loving Trump because he does not care about it at all. Well, I am getting tired of people being too lazy and hateful to actually take the time to consider that maybe it is time to drop some slurs from their vocabulary and speak about people as individuals rather than have a single person be representative of an entire group of people who may be of the same race, religion, gender, sexuality, and so forth.

A video I saw this week in my newsfeed shared by Occupy Democrats really got my thinking about how ridiculous the arguments surrounding political correctness are.

Right out the gate a white man talks about how he feels no one can "just speak the truth anymore." Already we have a fantastic use of hyperbole, something that may have impressed his high school English teacher if he were able to identify it as hyperbole himself. I know that I personally have still felt capable of saying the truth in my daily life despite my not saying hateful things about minority groups. For example-- I ate cereal for dinner yesterday. Was anyone offended by that truth? No. Only my pride.

Continuing in my analysis, I take note that a white woman said that she should not be "labelled something" because of their opinion, within seconds another white woman goes on to say that she is frustrated because she can't just "call a spade a spade" (A problematic phrase in itself). What I take away from these two conflicting sentiments is that it is okay to label people things, so long as the people who are doing the labeling of minorities are not then labeled racists, sexists, xenophobes, homophobes, etc. I guess if we step back a river can only flow one way and to turn that river around would be to go against God and no one is going to take our religious freedom away so long as we are all Christian in the US of A otherwise that would just be "reverse discrimination."

Someone in this video actually said that they felt it was "reverse discrimination" when they could not voice their opinions without repercussions. Aside from the fact that "reverse discrimination" cannot actually be a thing because white people are not discriminated against (Oppression works in one direction - it does not do a 180 when people who are privileged feel uncomfortable). Even if for a second we pretended like reverse discrimination were a thing that exists - how is it discrimination to respond to what someone says explaining how what they said is problematic? How is it discrimination that people are not entitled to say racist stuff and then go about watering their garden and sitting on their high horse of American freedom? If people are going to argue that they are losing their freedom of speech, maybe try taking into consideration that the people calling you out are just exercising theirs. And maybe, JUST MAYBE, if a bunch of people are saying something is offensive or racist spend a hot second to consider that maybe they are right.

If people were to really sit down and have a long think about political correctness, I would like to think that they would start to see how it's not so bad. Essentially they would realize idea behind it is to not say awful stuff about people - they would pack up a little box of all their favorite slurs, stereotypes, and "jokes" and ship it down a remotely located stream then have it engulfed by the great blue sea - never to be seen again.