Do you sometimes get referred to as the "Chandler Bing" of your friend group? Do you have a sarcastic comment for every social interaction that occurs? Do new people sometimes perceive you as mean? Do your friends always have to apologize for you and your witty ways to people you just met? Do you find people who don’t understand your sarcasm very frustrating? Do you own your sarcastic personality and all the triumphs and pitfalls that come with it?

I feel you.

It’s hard to be sarcastic. I ooze sarcasm with every other sentence that I speak, but if you would have just met me, then you would probably think I was mean. Oh well, clearly you just do not understand my sarcasm. That’s OK not all people speak the language of sarcasm, but let me tell you that it’s your loss.

The worst part about being sarcastic is when you meet people who don’t understand your sarcasm. Over the years, I have surrounded myself with friends who get my sarcasm and who are able to give it back to me. As a friend to a sarcastic person, you have to be willing to take a few hits here or there. You’re going to be the butt of all our jokes and stories, but know that we are only doing that because we love you and you can take it.

Meeting new people though is a whole different story. It’s easy to tell when someone doesn’t get your sarcasm because they immediately start to think you’re mean when they look at you like you have five heads. Let me set the record straight that it’s sarcasm, not meanness. Get the picture?

Your friends oftentimes may have to apologize for your bold and brazen comments because, although they are used to it, new people aren’t. Every time you make a comment to a new acquaintance you may feel the need to let them know that you were being sarcastic just so that they can get that shocked look off of their face. It’s not that you’re being intentionally mean, it’s just that some people get sarcasm and others don’t. Those people who don’t get it will write you off as mean. It’s OK, it happens. Just know that you are far from it.

According to Merriam-Webster, my good ole’ dictionary friend, the definition of sarcasm is “the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation or to be funny.” Let’s just set the record straight: most people use sarcasm to be funny. Sarcastic people are not mean human beings although some would beg to differ. The whole point of using sarcasm, at least in my opinion, is to make people laugh. If you have a sarcastic personality and are able to banter back and forth with me, then we will be best friends for life. If you just met me and are trying to form an opinion about me, then remember that I am sarcastic. That should help clear a few things up.

I love my sarcastic personality. The biggest compliment that I could ever receive is if someone calls me funny because you know what? I am funny! My sarcasm helps make dark situations light and boring situations entertaining. So you’re welcome for my sarcastic personality because without it the world would be a much duller place.