We live in a world where we constantly feel the need to apologize. We feel the need to apologize for speaking our mind, we apologize for feeling a certain way, and we apologize for trying to better yourself. There is a time a place for apologizing. An apology should only be issued if it is truly meant. When you accidentally run over a stranger’s foot with a Target shopping cart, you should apologize. If you accidentally buy your mother the wrong brand of toilet paper, you should apologize to her. If you accidentally knock over your dad’s favorite lantern in the pitch-black garage, and deny doing it for 8 months, you should apologize to him. Apologizing is necessary when you genuinely mean it, but apologizing is not always going to solve problems.

When we speak our mind, or step up and speak out for, or against certain issues we believe in, we should not feel obligated to apologize. If you strongly believe in a certain issue or movement, speak your mind on the topic. Tell the world how you really feel. But never apologize for thinking a certain way. Do not apologize for speaking your mind. You do not owe anyone an apology. When you overuse the words, “I’m sorry," it loses its meaning. Stand up for what you believe in, and don’t back down.

We also need to stop apologizing for feeling a certain way. Stop apologizing for expressing your feelings. If you are having a bad day and need a break from reality, do not apologize because you are feeling lousy. You deserve to stay in bed and watch a whole season of Shameless. You do not have to feel sorry for taking time for yourself. We also need to stop apologizing for our feelings towards other people. If you do not like someone, you do not have to apologize to anyone for your feelings towards them. When it comes to your feelings towards your friends, you do not have to apologize to anyone for being friends with someone. It is your life, and you call the shots.

Lastly, and most importantly, you do not have to apologize to ANYONE for trying to better your life. If you decide to go to college full-time, part-time or work full or part-time, you do not have to apologize for your choices. You know what is right for you. If you decide to quit a job, or go that extra semester of school, it is your choice. If your choices only affect you, then you have no reason to apologize for them. It is time we start owning up to the way we speak, feel, and the choices we make. We need to stop feeling obligated to apologize for things we cannot control. This is our lives, so stop apologizing for the way we feel.