I'm Not In A Sorority Because I Know What's Good For Me

I don't have anything against sororities, it's just not my thing.
517

I'm not a sorority girl. I don't have anything against sororities, it's just not my thing, and I think we need to stop treating girls who actively choose to not be in a sorority like there is something wrong with them.

Everyone assumes that girls who don't want to be in a sorority aren't in a sorority because they are taking the sorority stereotypes as facts. That's not the case at all, actually.

Believe it or not, some of just don't want to be in a sorority. I don't believe that all sorority girls drink and party and waste their life away. In fact, a lot of my close friends are in sororities — good for them if that's what they want to do. Some sororities even have amazing philanthropic efforts that should be commended.

But I'm sick and tired of people thinking that just because I'm not in a sorority and have no desire to be in one that I hate them or that I think all sorority girls are trashy — because I don't.

I enjoy spending my free time writing, editing and reading or being with my horse, which involves an hour long drive one way. Being in a sorority would take up time that I like to use in other ways because of where my priorities are.

I'm also just not a group person. I'd rather have a few close friends instead of being surrounded by large numbers of people all of the time. For me, the thought of having so many close "sisters" is not appealing. That just means I'm going to be forced to socialize with more people than I really have a desire to.

Why put myself in that situation?

Really, though, I wouldn't add much to a sorority, and I'd rather be in the corner by myself than in the center surrounded by tons of other people. If I socialize for an extended period of time, I almost feel exhausted — OK, maybe that's an exaggeration — but I still don't love it.

SEE ALSO: 7 Things Girls In Sororities Just Need To Stop Saying To Girls Who Aren't

See, there's nothing wrong with being in a sorority if it is the right fit for you and your personality, but we need to stop assuming that any girl without a desire to be in a sorority hates them. I have no desire to join not because I hate them, but because I know what is good for me and who I am.