I'm Going Abroad And I'm Terrified

I'm Going Abroad And I'm Terrified

I just have a lot of questions
210

Okay terrified might be a bit of an overstatement.

Anyway, I'm going to Florence for a whole semester in January. I am over the moon with excitement about being in a new place but there are lots of uncertainty out there and I'm definitely someone who enjoys knowing exactly what is going to happen. I am scared that getting there on my own, without a travel buddy, will not work out the way I want.

Sure, I have traveled my whole life, but there is something about doing it completely solo that freaks me out just a little. I'm also scared that I won't make any friends, which again is totally irrational because I know that I totally will. I just have so many questions:

Will this experience be as fantastic as everyone says that it is? (answer: of course it will be).

How in the world am I going to be able to communicate when I get there not knowing any useful Italian?

Who the heck and I going to live with?

And more importantly, will we get along?

What is my apartment going to look like?

If I can't even navigate directions in America, how in the world am I going to do it in a foreign language?

HOW IN THE WORLD AM I SUPPOSED TO FIT FOUR MONTHS OF CLOTHES INTO ONE SUITCASE???

What will everything be like when I get back home in May?

My fear is that my friends and I will have drifted and that it'll be hard to get back into the swing of things. Easy fix: stay in the loop with facetime and don't let you and your friends drift! What if I end up loving it so much over in Italy that I hate the idea of coming back to America? What will it be like to come home and not have fresh pasta and a plethora of gelato at my fingertips anymore?

I know that this experience is one that I will never forget and I should just let go of all of the anxiety that I'm having over things I can't control and the fears that are completely irrational (which is most of them). It's just hard to do when everything is new. I just need to move past it because come January, the gif below will be me #af