I'm Declaring A Major In Passion

I'm Declaring A Major In Passion

If you're undeclared, this might help you.

2
I'm Declaring A Major In Passion
LifeHacker

When high school juniors and seniors are thinking of college, their first question is “What do I want to major in?” or in other words, “What do I want to study?” This is the most important question in searching for colleges. Your major can determine your future. However, some students only pick their majors to get a job that will make money. This was the mistake that I made.

For the first two years, I went to my community college. Unfortunately, I didn’t get into Salisbury, which was my first choice and Maryland, which wasn’t a shock. I did get into University of Maryland, Baltimore County for the spring. But, I wanted to get an Associate’s Degree first.

At my first year, I was a double major in Musical Theater and Graphic Design. My plan was to be an actress, but have graphic design as my side job. I would transfer to University of Maryland, Baltimore County to have a BA in Acting and a BFA in Graphic Design. In the fall semester, I started with the graphic design major. I put theatre on hold for another semester due to my back surgery that I had a month ago. That spring, I did one class each for graphic design and theater.

I did decide to apply to UMBC for the fall of 2013 so I could graduate early. However, I didn’t go on the school website before applying. One day, I went to the theater website to find out what kinds of great acting training will be in store for me. I couldn’t believe my eyes—the BA in Acting was gone. A new BA in Theater Studies was there in its place. I would have to audition for the BFA program to get any kinds of training in the 300 and 400 classes. I couldn’t believe it. I wanted to do this program since high school and now, they decided to abandon it right as I was getting in. I was furious! I didn’t care about lighting design, dramatic literature, or directing. I just wanted to act! A while later, I decided to give up the theater major and just do graphic design for the last three years.

I began my BFA graphic design program in the fall of 2014 at UMBC. I was thrilled. I was going to get a pretentious degree in design. I will be the best of the best. The program was nothing like I expected. I didn’t know how hard it was going to be, how easy it was to make mistakes, how hard it was to follow directions etc. My professor almost gave up on me altogether, saying that I should leave the major. I immediately look into other options. I quickly lost my graphic design passion. Over the last few months, I was looking into the entertainment industry, so the Media & Communications Studies really struck me. But, I was thinking maybe the BA in Theater Studies would be a great option after all. It would be really cool to study theater altogether and see where I belong. But at this point, I would graduate as a semester late. I was feeling really overwhelmed and didn’t want to stay one semester later. Heck, I was strongly considering to go back to Howard CC to finish my last semester of the program, graduate and get my AA, and start my life. So, I decided to choose the Media & Communications Studies with a focus in Creative Writing.

As I’m preparing to graduate, let me just say I am much happier in MCS than graphic design. I learned about video production, social media, and media around the world. I just wish I had declared it sooner, so I could have chosen better electives in the class instead of the art classes that transferred in. Additionally, I loved the creative writing classes I took and rediscovered my passion for writing. Yes, the work this semester was taunting, but it was only one time. However, I feel a little empty as well.

Overall, I wish I was a theater major. This last school year, actually, I have been attracted to theater more than ever and not because I now have a chance of an acting career. I have felt like a creative spirit has grown in me, wanting to direct, design, and manage in a theatrical show. I can write a play or a song or two, but I want to do more than that. That is why next year, I’m planning on returning to Howard CC to get an AA degree in theater, so I can finally see my full potential. But, if I focused on theater as planned, I wouldn’t be going back to school. I would be moving on with my life.

That’s why I’m asking all of you: study what you love. Don’t major in something because of money or a safe job. Forget those things. Follow your heart. If you really want to study in the arts, sociology, English etc., do it. Or you’ll never be satisfied.