I'll Be Your Friend Regardless Of How You Vote, And All Americans Should Do The Same

Don't allow an election to ruin your relationships with friends.

59

As we get closer to the first Tuesday in November, several of my friends have asked which candidate has my vote. There's a certain level of etiquette and caution that should be taken when you're talking to people who disagree with you! Here's how I respond to my friends when talking about politics.

1. There's other things to talk about besides politics, especially when we disagree.

I love going out to the beach or to dinner with my friends. We're having a great time until someone asks about politics. My tidbit of advice here is to skip the politics when you know you disagree! Talk about the sunset, your classes, your dogs, or your annoying professors. These are things that everyone loves to chat about!

2. Your friends probably don't want to offend your values, so don't offend theirs!

When bringing up a political topic, you have to expect for others to fire back at you. If you don't want to be fired at, the best way to go is to simply know your own values and respect your friends' values. This also means when you don't agree. This is a part of life that we are taught in preschool. Let's return to those glory days of etiquette and try to respect one another. If you have nothing nice to say, you're probably better off saying nothing at all.

3. No matter the outcome, your friends are your friends already for a reason.

I've seen many friend groups and people drift away from others because they disagree about something trivial. At the end of the day, no matter the outcome, your friend are your friends for a reason. Closing out this election cycle, remember to be a friend to your friends, no matter what. Letting friendships go to waste over a disagreement about a candidate would be silly, so follow these simple steps of election etiquette. No matter what happens on that first Tuesday in November, remember your friends are your friends for a greater purpose.