live in the now

'When I get this I'll Be Happy...'

Why living in the now is so crucial.

270

What if we weren't always looking for the "Next Best Thing?" What if we decided to live in the present and indulge in what we've already been blessed with? Here's how this thought crossed my mind and held on to it:

About two weeks ago I moved into my apartment in Downtown Charleston, a one bedroom that seemed like what was going to be the best thing that had ever happened to me. I was going to be able to decorate an entirely new home, and have it all to myself; how could it get any better? As time went on and my move-in date was approaching, I found myself getting more and more excited. I spent my lonely hours at Home Goods or Target, hoping to live out the aesthetic that had been in my mind since I signed the lease for my new apartment.

My parents came into town, heightening my excitement upon their arrival. However, move in day came, and I felt the high that I had been experiencing starting to come to a close. I had been waiting on this day for a while, and the moment that it came, I caught myself saying, "This is it?"

I love my apartment, I mean LOVE my apartment, and don't regret it one bit. However, I do regret attempting to fill the void that creeps up into my heart with "things" that will never satisfy my inner being. Not that I'm sad or lonely, but the moment that I find myself running to things that will never quench my spiritual thirst, I find myself running away from God and temporarily filling the "God-shaped hole" with a puzzle piece that will never fit.

To you, your puzzle piece might be chasing after a significant other in hopes that they will complete you, or even turning to hobbies that feel good at the time, but as soon as you're done with them, you feel the void that you had been hoping to escape from all along start to resurface. While I have experience with all the above, it's a tricky situation to avoid. We're all guilty of idolizing things, people, or even places that we feel will fill that hole.

In today's society, we will always be looking for the next best thing, hoping to keep up with our ever-changing society. We will always idolize future days that we know are going to be fun filled. However, we must remind ourselves how crucial it is to live in the now. Do all the things today, live your life today, go on a run today, and don't wait for an endearing future moment to keep you from doing it all today. Once we know and believe this in our soul, we will truly realize the crushing reality of temporary pleasure, and focus on the now.

After all, this is the exact moment that we were made for, right?