If You Went Through Sorority Recruitment, This One Is For You

In my chapter, I’ve found the people that seven-year-old me wanted to find in college
19

When we were little, we were told how great college was going to be but nobody really prepared us for what it was really going to be like. It is safe to say, going to college is just one big process of trial-and-error. All of you decided to take an extra blind step into the void by going through recruitment and I commend each and every one of you. It isn’t an easy thing to do; to put yourself out there and try to connect with a single chapter after speaking to a hundred women when you are running on four hours of sleep a night. There’s nothing easy about that.

Two years ago, when I came to WSU, I was scared and I was alone and it sucked. I was the first one in my family to go Greek, I was a first-generation student, and I was the oldest in my family. I moved to Washington without a single friend in the state but, hey, I was ready to find all of these “college memories” and “lifelong friends” that everyone had been telling me about since I was seven. I had so many doubts during recruitment week. Me…going through sorority recruitment? I could never be a sorority girl. I wasn’t pretty enough. I wasn’t social enough. I wasn’t skinny enough. I wasn’t enough.

But I was wrong.

The first day that I walked into Tri Delta, I felt my fears slipping away. My first day here, I talked with a member about our mutual hatred of spaghetti, of all things. I felt comfortable and welcome…I felt like I was home. When I got my bid, I sprinted—like, I don’t run, but boy did I run—to this house and I was taken in with open arms.

It hasn’t all been easy but it has all been worth it. After some painful, but necessary, soul-searching, I’ve found my forever friends in this chapter. Without those friends, I can confidently say that I wouldn’t still be at this university.

In Tri Delta, I’ve found the people that seven-year-old me wanted to find. What seven-year-old me didn’t think about, though, is that four years is only four years, and sometimes you’re only given half that before your friends graduate and have to leave you to become “real” adults. Seven-year-old me didn’t think about the ever-impending day that she will have to watch her best friend walk at graduation, knowing that we can’t live in each other’s rooms forever. Seven-year-old me had absolutely no idea just how much these people were going to mean to me. Even though it breaks my heart thinking about my days without them, I wouldn’t give up them stumbling into my life, for the world. Without this chapter, I wouldn’t have found my people.

Tri Delta is more than a house. It is a home. It is my home. It is our home. It is here that I am slowly finding myself and discovering where I want to be ten years from now.

It is in this chapter that I found my best friend. The girl who will watch anime with me long into the god-awful hours of the night and sing along to KPop even though we definitely don’t know how to speak Korean. It is in this chapter that I’ve found my two littles who are absolutely perfect. When I’m missing my three little sisters, all I have to do is find one of them and they somehow make everything better. My Greek family slowly pieced itself together, and they’ve become just as important as the family that I miss back home. It is in this chapter that I’ve found friends who love me, even when I am far from loving myself. Here I feel like I can accomplish my dreams, no matter how unrealistic I think they are. Impossible isn’t a word in this house because when you have Tri Delta, anything is possible.

I’ll tell you what I was told a year ago by a woman in this chapter who sealed the deal for me wanting to join this chapter.

As much as I’d love for you to find your home here at Tri Delta, what I really want is for you to find where you’re truly going to be happy. I want you to find where you can be yourself. I want you to be able to run to the place you already are calling home in the back of your mind. Find where you know you belong, and you’ll never regret it.