If I Were a Parent

If I Were a Parent

As told by gifs

3751
If I Were a Parent

We're about halfway between Mother's Day and Father's Day, so it's the perfect time to pause and remember just how amazing parents are. Beyond giving us life, they defended us from a dangerous world and eventually helped us develop the wherewithal to face it our own. If I ever have, foster or otherwise mentor children, here are some of the things I would make sure to do:

1. Teach them to reject body-shaming

I, as a parent, would try to shield my kids from toxic diet culture. Children definitely see the checkout line headlines like "The bikini cleanse!" and "Lose two pounds overnight!" They notice fat shaming on TV, and diet ads promising drastic before-and-afters. My kids would be able to deal with this bombardment healthily because we would talk about body image together.

2. Breastfeed them in public

Breast really is best—it provides vital antibodies, boosts neurological development and promotes emotional health. Sadly, some mothers face opposition while trying to feed their babies. Nonetheless, if I ever have biological children, you can bet I'll be breastfeeding them everywhere - at the mall, on public transport, at church, at the Supreme Court!

3. Allow them to wear man-buns from the youngest age

I personally think long hair is a nice aesthetic, regardless of age or gender. So any children of mine wishing to sport a man bun will have my full support.

4. Teach them to build each other up

Drama, gossip, feuding over boys—these are all ways we lose chances to build each other up. I would tell my kids that friendship is so much more important than all these things.

5. Teach them to respect themselves and others

I guess it seems like these days, you have to put up with a lot of disrespect. However, my kids would stand up to any kind of harrasment or bullying.

6. Teach them to love learning

"Learning is a lifestyle," my mom always says. Whether or not school is in session, there's always more intellectual terrain to cover.

7. Teach them to appreciate other cultures

We lose so much if we refuse to venture beyond familiarity, so my kids and I would respectfully study and experience cultures other than our own.

8. Teach them family history

Those who went before affect who we are today, so bring on the old photos, memoirs and census records!

9. Tell them stories

Reading books is good, but nothing beats a good tale told from memory - King Arthur, Aesop's Fables, Robin Hood or one of the teller's own creation!

10. Teach them to cook, sew and keep house

When you're in college and you know how to sew a hem, knead bread, and mow a lawn, you'll be glad your parents made you do chores.

11. Teach them about Jesus

Most importantly, I'd tell my kids about Jesus and pray that they would decide to follow Him, too.

At the end of the day, I have no clue whether or not I'll ever end up raising kids. This list is actually derived from the lessons I've learned from my own parents. To them and to parents everywhere, thank you!