ICYMI: IC Alumnus Bob Iger Visits Campus

Yes, he does have meetings about Disney princesses

2
google images

Last week, Ithaca College students had the opportunity to get advice from one of IC’s most notable alumnus, Disney CEO and chairman, Bob Iger (‘73). During the hour long interview, Iger discussed topics ranging from creativity and innovation to dealing with technological advances to Disney princesses. By 3:00 p.m., the Ford Hall Auditorium was packed from wall to wall with students, faculty and staff, all of whom were eager to get their share of advice from the successful alum.

The session began with Bob graciously sitting down with Dean Diane Gayeski (‘74) and Dean Sean Reid. The interview began with Iger discussing his strategies when it comes to keeping up with new technological advances. As many students begin to think of post-graduation plans, Iger advised them to keep curiosity at the top of their list of things to have, especially in a world where technology and innovations are constantly changing at a rapid pace. He further discussed his role within the Walt Disney Company, revealing that he often looks for curiosity and work ethic in employees rather than their amount of experience, which he claims is at times “overrated.”

Interviewers Reid and Gayeski further prompted Iger to speak about his personal habits that may have contributed to his success. To this, he listed a plethora of habits that he would advise students to develop — a significant one being work ethic and integrity — of which he said that failure is rare with the combination of the two. The floor was then opened up to select first-year students who were given the opportunity to ask Iger questions ranging from general business strategies to Disney specific inquiries.

A popular question among students was that of the television industry’s recent shift to streaming on sites such as Hulu and Netflix. Iger spoke about Disney’s position in this change and how the corporation plans to keep the Disney Channel relevant in a time where channels themselves are dwindling. Regarding the shift, however, he discussed how the company isn’t hesitant when it comes to observing new business models and ideas, even if they differ from their current strategies as a company. His biggest concern as CEO is ensuring that content of the shows Disney is producing is level with the company’s standards.

Speaking of standards, Iger also discussed the values and missions of Disney and how he as CEO and chairman upholds them (hint: this is where the princess convo comes in). The goal of the brand, he disclosed, is not only to fulfill the expectations that consumers have on the surface, but to surpass those expectations as well. Disney’s content ranges from animation films to tween TV shows to movies like the "Pirates of the Caribbean"series. So how does the corporation maintain the same values when the messages of their content varies so diversely? Iger says it’s a matter of staying modern, without loosening their standards. Their goal as a company, he states, is to “...be good, be relevant and fulfill brand promise” which definitely can be classified as quite the balancing act.

As for princesses, Bob discussed the importance of creating role models rather than damsels when it comes to the classic Disney image. Obviously that notion has grown from Disney classics like "Cinderella" and "Snow White." As the company progresses, however, viewers are now starting to see heroines such as Merida and adventurers like Anna and Elsa.

To close off the conversation, Iger left the audience on a heart-warming note when he disclosed that he has taken a piece of Ithaca with him throughout his many successful endeavors, and encourages current students and recent grads to do the same. All in all, Iger’s brief visit to IC left students with encouragement and useful insights into the post Ithaca College world.