I Watched “Tiger King” On Netflix And I Have Some Thoughts

In a show about big cat owners, the biggest predators are not the tigers.

16
Photo by Fezbot2000 on Unsplash

A quick preface: all thoughts and opinions expressed in this article are my own, and all actions described are alleged unless proven in a court of law. Spoilers ahead!

In a time of uncertainty and sadness, one man has joined together internet culture and caused an uproar - the Tiger King, Joe Exotic. Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram are abound with memes playing off the show - and for good reason. "Tiger King" the Netflix Docuseries, brings the viewer on a sensational ride of "murder-for-hire" plots, a missing husband, animal abuse, and the unfavorable side of privately owned zoos.

Joe Exotic (the character from which the series gets it's name sake) is an eccentric, middle-aged man that is unpredictable at best, and highly irrational at worst. "Tiger King" chronicles Joe Exotic's tale from exotic animal lover to zoo owner. Along this journey, Joe encounters both Carole Baskin and Bhagavan 'Doc' Antle who take on major roles within the story. Carole Baskin especially so.

Throughout the series, the viewer is repeatedly reminded of this great feud that developed between Carole and Joe. Carole Baskin accuses Joe Exotic of animal abuse, and Joe accuses Carole of killing her missing husband. Doc Antle also comes under fire from Carole for the treatment of the tigers at his zoo, but on the other hand we see Joe expressing fond sentiments towards Doc about his zoo and lifestyle.

A few episodes deep into the series, we learn that both Joe Exotic and Doc Antle have multiple romantic partners. While Joe has two husbands at one point, Doc's relationship with the women of his zoo seems more troubling. A former employee of Doc's is interviewed as a part of the series, and gives a glimpse of what could salaciously be described bordering on a tiger sex cult. The former employee recounts working long hours, being forced to wear revealing uniforms, getting breast augmentations, and she even implies that having intercourse with Doc was repaid with better treatment and position within the zoo.

As the main focus of the series, it is natural for us to search for redeemable qualities in Joe Exotic, but it's impossible for us to see who Joe really is. Joe presents as a narcissistic showman, always grabbing for attention and headlines. With the cameras always rolling on Joe, it's hard to tell what is his act and what is genuine. We see glimpses of a tender hearted man who nurses tiger cubs in his home, and then we are presented with the accusations that he has shot his tigers when they have gotten too old to be profitable.

But the greatest enigma of all may be Carole Baskin. It is she who Joe Exotic was charged with plotting to murder. And it is she who is also shrouded in allegations of murdering her husband. Over the course of the docuseries, the legal battles between Carole and Joe are examined. Joe seemingly ripped off imagery used by Carole's big cat sanctuary, and she settled the score by initiating lawsuits against many people involved with Joe's zoo. As a woman described as having great wealth, and would seemingly gain little financial benefit from multiple civil cases, it begs the question: why? Why did Carole target Joe? What did she get out of their internet-turned-real-life feud? Why would she continue to antagonize an unstable man? And why does she come off as the least believable figure in the show?

Ultimately, the docuseries "Tiger King" is more in line with a sensational reality series than a fully realized true crime documentary. The bulk of the show is dedicated to the larger-than-life personalities that form the outlandish underworld of exotic animal ownership, and it lacks in non editorialized descriptions of the crimes the show claims to explore. "Tiger King" could have pulled the masks off and exposed Joe Exotic, Doc Antle, Carole Baskin and many other major players, but instead it basks the masquerade.