I Am A Millennial, Republican Female And I Support The Wall

We really do need to "Make America Great Again."

123

Being a Republican female on a very liberal college campus isn't easy. I tend to have very unpopular opinions as opposed to my democratic peers, and this can sometimes get me into trouble. One time, I even wore a Trump t-shirt to class for one day and was #judged.

Despite what most other millennials probably believe, I 110% support the wall, and you can't change my mind.

For the last 10 years, illegal immigration and what to do about it has been a hot topic in American politics. Many people believe President Trump's Immigration policy is harsh and unnecessary.

But, newsflash: it's not something we haven't seen before.

During Obama's first term as President, he also detained illegal families at the border. Trump just continued this process and reinforced it a little more.

So no, Trump isn't perfect, but Obama wasn't either.

The United States is the best place to live on planet Earth because of our freedoms and liberties. But, you have to earn them if you weren't born on American soil. You can't just waltz right in and think you deserve what everyone else has. That's just not how it works.

Think of it this way. The majority of American houses have a fence around the perimeter. This isn't just to keep your dog in the yard but to also set a boundary between your property and someone else's. Without a fence, there is no border to determine what space is free for all, and what space is specifically yours. If a random stranger comes into your yard, you would be a little freaked out, right? You don't know who they are or what their intentions are. Most importantly, they just don't belong there. So that's why you have a fence. If that same stranger came and knocked on your front door and just wanted to admire your flower garden, you wouldn't have a problem with it, because they asked for permission.

This is just what the immigration process is like. You need to ask and be granted permission to live on US soil. You can't just walk in and expect to be handed American privileges. It just doesn't work that way.

If you don't like the way we operate, find someone where else to go.

We are more than happy to welcome you to America, but you need to follow the directions in becoming a legal alien or a citizen, just like you should knock on the front door and ask for permission to admire your neighbor's flower garden.

You also may be thinking where Trump will be getting the money from to build this wall. I know he keeps saying that Mexico will pay for it, but that just isn't reasonable. He is only asking for $5.7 billion. Yes, that may sound like a lot, but in the grand scheme of things.. it really isn't. It's only 0.11% of the federal budget. Food stamps cost 13.7 times the amount Trump is requesting for the wall. 63% of non-citizen households access welfare programs when compared to native households with access to welfare programs.

Remember how much illegal immigrants affect your own life, financially. It isn't selfish. You need to take care of yourself before other people, just like the way you should on an airplane.

This is why we need a wall.