BOOM. I have concluded that I am 100% addicted to caffeine. Caffeine is my main source of energy; I simply cannot go one day without it!

In high school, I made a promise to myself that I would not drink coffee because I believed caffeine was bad for my heart health (made my heart race). I mostly kept my promise as I survived high school with tea and the occasional caffeinated green tea.

When I came to college however, that promise quickly faded and I became very addicted to coffee. Coffee replaces meals somedays and keeps me going through a busy schedule. While I switch up my coffee, from drinking it black to adding oat milk, I realized that too much of something is never good for you. Caffeinated teas also work well for me but sometimes don't keep me as full and I find myself needing to go to the bathroom over and over again.

Thanks to living in trendy Los Angeles and after doing some research, I came across matcha. Matcha is a green tea powder. The tea plant originated in India, and stretched across Chinese provinces, eventually reaching Japan and developing further during more modern times. Now, it is one of the trendiest drinks and flavors in the world.

Matcha has many health benefits that can compete with coffee. It has the caffeine, dietary fiber, catechins (and other antioxidants), theanine (an amino acid) and other vitamins and minerals. It tastes naturally a little sweet and has a beautiful green color! (Yutani).

I enjoy learning the different ways matcha can be prepared. From mixing matcha with hot water and a warm milk, to making matcha chocolates and smoothies, it truly serves a diverse purpose that has become extremely popular within the past few years.

Some cafés sweeten the powder with extra sugar, so if you do not enjoy sweet drinks, try experimenting with it on your own!

My personal favorite matcha drink is my own matcha latte. I do not add any extra sugars because I like the natural sweet flavor. I first heat water to boil, then I mix the hot water with a serving of the powder. I use a special matcha bamboo whisk to do so (pictured below). I then froth a dairy-free milk (usually oat milk or Lactaid), and mix the two together. It has become my go-to drink and gives me the energy I need.

I highly recommend giving it a try YOUR way, because your day will improve so matcha!

Source (pictured below): Yutani, Taro. 2017. The Matcha: Lupicia's Matcha and Japanese Tea. Tokyo, Japan: Hiroki Mizuguchi. Print.