It's Ok To Listen To Christmas Music Before December

Yes, I Listen To Christmas Music In October And No, I Won't Stop Because I Like Feeling Jolly Year-Round

It's moving, it's inspirational, and it fills me with gratitude.

69
New Line Cinema

I hear a lot of people express anger or frustration when others start listening to Christmas music before December even begins. Before I go any further, it's true! I am contributing to your anger and frustration!

For me, the holiday season symbolizes something special. It's not even about the day itself, but the overall ambiance the season brings. Christmas music relaxes me. It reminds me of warmth and unity, something that I feel we lose touch of when the weather gets cold and miserable.

I don't forget about the other holidays, either. I still celebrate "spooky season" and love Halloween and Thanksgiving just as much as the next person. But, when I'm in my car alone driving somewhere on the highway, I have no issue with turning on a Christmas tune on to soothe my mind. I also have no issue with early decorating, despite the fact that malls and stores decorate to fuel their capitalistic demands.

I think there's also this underlying value of sentiment when listening to Christmas music. I'm not even just talking about the traditional carols. I'm referring to the more unplugged, obscure pieces that express feelings we can all relate to during the season (and even year-round ). These artists include Christmas originals from artists like Sufjan Stevens and Sara Bareilles. (I highly recommend giving their music a listen!)

There's so much more to Christmas music than just singing about Christmas. There's a lot that we feel during this time of year. The holidays are directly linked to our relationships, our love for other people and ourselves, and our state of being.

It's moving. It's inspirational. And it touches my soul in an enticing and captivating way, leaving me filled with nothing but awe and gratitude for living in this very moment.