An open letter to the man who killed Jacob

I have found enough peace to forgive you

714

To the man that took Jacobs life,

I don't know you. You don't know me. We couldn't pick each other out of a crowd. The only reason I know your name is countless number of articles written on your mistake that day. August 4th was the worst day of my life. I can imagine it's also the worst day of your life. It's the day you killed an innocent young man. I don't know the guilt you're living with, in fact I couldn't even imagine how hard it must be for you to relive the tragic events of that day. It is impossible for me to relive them, literally, I cannot remember anything after 4:53 pm, when I got the phone call.

The man who's live you took was named Jacob. He was going to be a husband, father, son-in-law. He was already a son, brother, uncle, fiancé. He was so excited to come home that day. It was Saturday, date night. He wasn't supposed to be on 19, but he was, and you killed him. That single soul held all my hopes and dreams. Jacob and I wanted to live on the water. We wanted 2 kids, Katherine Rose and Leonardo Vincent. He wanted to be a welder, he planned on enrolling for school Wednesday August 8th. He will never get to be a welder. He will never get to be a father, he would've been the worlds best dad. He will never have grandkids, or his dream house. You took that all from him.

We had adopted our cat, Orchid, in May. She was our fur baby, she will never get to see her daddy again. I had to watch her sleep next to his work boots every night for the first week he was gone. She was waiting for him to come home. I had to take his laundry out of plastic bags so she could smell him. I had to watch her run around the house crying for him every time I played a video with his voice. I had to watch as her eyes filled with fear every single time, I left the house. She was scared, I also wouldn't return. You did that to her.

Although you did all of this, I have found the strength in my heart to forgive you. I don't know you, I don't hate you. I hate the choices you made that day. I find it quite selfish that you found it okay to get behind the wheel. That you didn't see Jacob. I HATE all those choices. But I have forgiven you. You didn't get on the road that day intending to murder someone, I understand that. You must live with the burden of your choices from that day for the rest of your life. I believe that is punishment enough. All I ask of you now is not to ever get behind the wheel of another car. To pray for Jacob, tell him you're sorry. He will forgive you, he is such a kind man. Also enjoy the moments you still have left with your family. I did not enjoy my moments with Jacob enough and those are burdens I now must live with. Don't make the same mistakes I did, and don't repeat your mistakes.

Best of luck to you ,James,

Erin, Jacobs princess