5 Secrets To Beating The Winter-Time Blues With Hygge

Basically, anything that makes you feel all snuggled in, from smells to fabrics, to foods/beverages.
78

Hygge (pronounced hoo-ga) is a Danish concept that is a lifestyle focused on coziness and company. It encompasses the little things in life that make one feel content and warm inside. Basically, anything that makes you feel all snuggled in, from smells to fabrics, to foods/beverages.

1. Candles:

One thing that really helps me get through the cold snowy and dark time of the year is warm light. Candles are a great way to add a mellow light to the room, a welcoming fragrance, and cut down on electricity costs. Candles can be pricey, but I suggest heading to Walmart or a dollar store to find some cheaper versions. You could even make your own candles, if you're feelin' crafty

2. Blankets:

The Danish, particularly love cable knit, but I think any cozy blanket will do. A personal favorite of mine is a $10 blanket with pumpkins on it. Hygge also includes sweatpants, comfy pajamas, and even fuzzy socks

3. Food:

Can you say comfort food?! The greatest thing about spending more time indoors is that you also get to spend more time cooking and doing things with food. Now everyone talks about putting on winter weight and all the bad things that happen when you eat poorly in the winter. The point of hygge eating is to be mindful and comfortable in your food choices that are welcoming and not over-doing it. Hot chocolate, warm dishes, homemade popcorn, cupcakes and sweets, mulled wine, etc. are all warm cozy foods that are meant to make you feel loved and cozy.

4. Activities:

The point of hygge is to get in touch with yourself and what makes you feel warm and good inside. Put away the phone, shut off the TV, and close the laptop. Reading is a great way to spend time to grow your imagination and spark your mind. Playing games with friends and family is also a great way to spend your time in the company of others. Knitting, crafts, and yoga are also great hygge activities!

The Winter blues are here, but they don't have to stay. Make a cozy corner, or dedicate a specific amount of time to practice hygge to enjoy the coziness and company during the winter months.